Gps

jliller

Reaction score
Normally the GPS on my Motorola Droid is really good - 6 to 9 ft accuracy.

I've had a few times when the GPS signal was weak (only 20-30 ft accuracy) but this has mostly occured when the weather has been stormy so not surprising I'd think.

But I've had a couple times when the phone simply looks and looks for the GPS satelites but cannot seem to find them (it sees only a couple if any and cannot get a solid signal) even though the sky is pretty clear and I'm standing in the open (and not in a rural area). This is rare and the GPS will be fine again later in the day or the next day.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the phone's ability to get a good GPS signal?

foolydooly

Reaction score
Normally the GPS on my Motorola Droid is really good - 6 to 9 ft accuracy.

I've had a few times when the GPS signal was weak (only 20-30 ft accuracy) but this has mostly occured when the weather has been stormy so not surprising I'd think.

But I've had a couple times when the phone simply looks and looks for the GPS satelites but cannot seem to find them (it sees only a couple if any and cannot get a solid signal) even though the sky is pretty clear and I'm standing in the open (and not in a rural area). This is rare and the GPS will be fine again later in the day or the next day.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve the phone's ability to get a good GPS signal?

Droid's GPS isn't entirely based off of just satellite. Instead it's based on our 3G network. So signal will affect it.

Open area will help certainly, but sometimes signal is just pot of a luck thing.......

ckburks

Reaction score
Anyone know a tweek for the x2 gps? Mine sucks and takes about a minute to pull accurate location..and forget checking in with yelp or fb...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

srvctec

Reaction score
Yep. Try "GPS Status" free from the market to download the latest AGPS data and recalibrate the GPS. Been using it for months and it works great. Also has a cool compass/radar built in.

Sent from my DROID X2

debsy111

Reaction score
navigation

How to I activate the GPS system?

Hi...I just got my Razr last week and still playing with it...but I went to the market and typed in turn by turn navigation and i downloaded Sygic GPS navigation and it works great and its FREE!! There are a few more but this is the one I went with. Tried it out today and it picked me up in no time, even when I didn't turn. I put the shortcut on home so I could find it quicker. Hope this helps! I came here trying to find a way to make the volume louder than what it is...it is turned up the whole way but would like it a tad louder when I'm talking to someone.

ablank

Reaction score
definitely use google navigation for that. In order to activate standalone GPS, however, go to settings> location and security, check standalone GPS. To use voice navigation press and hold the search button; when it says to speak say "navigate to x location" it will then take you there. Really useful with a car dock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

billcows

Reaction score
Anybody else having issues with the GPS? Mine is horrible. Hardly works at all. Really slow when it does.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I only had one hiccup, but other than that it's been rock solid. I always acquire satellites within a few seconds.

azurerune

Reaction score
I haven't had issues so far, but only have used it about 5 times for maps. Locks in a few seconds.

nelamvr6

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Mine is working great! Far better than any other device I have or have had. I use an app called GPS Status, it has proven very valuable over time, it shows a lot of great info, like how good the signal is from the birds and how many birds are being picked up.

The DNA has better response by FAR than any other device, phone or tablet, that I've ever had!