GPS worked PERFECTLY when I needed it most

wolfman4u

Reaction score
After all the GPS issues discussion, etc on the subject and all the times I tested it with "where's my Droid" and it didn't work. I thought the GPS still wasn't working but today my phone was stolen and where's my Droid application pinpointed it EXACTLY. I was able to successfully locate and recover it. GREAT story as when I found it he was trying to unlock it. The look on his face - Priceless.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Jamis0n

Reaction score
+infinite

rockin:
sc nv eb01 v2.4 rom
midnight 1.1 theme

btw, this was 8pen-ed.

Markmm24

Reaction score
Thats awesome.it just shows you how far technology can take us.they should have something as simple as this for all cars too.that would be a life saver for people.(forgive me if you know of any cars that can do this)

OP
wolfman4u

wolfman4u

Reaction score
I believe the OnStar system can locate the vehicle and also disable it.

Katnipthief

Reaction score
Thats awesome.it just shows you how far technology can take us.they should have something as simple as this for all cars too.that would be a life saver for people.(forgive me if you know of any cars that can do this)

Ever hear of lojack? Only thing bad about lojack is being aftermarket. It came out a long time ago in technology standards so the surrounding technology wasn't quite ready for it.

Onstar is more recent and completely oem so it can't be removed to disable. App recovery for our phones is like lojack. It can be disabled. Its only time till we get one that's completely built in. -and I mean for us, aside from 911 loc.

Kanibull

Reaction score
yea that is true the app can be uninstalled but the op did a good thing by having a password on his device. im not saying that the lockscreen password is full proof but it helped.

Katnipthief

Reaction score
I agree. Its really nice using those, especially seeing absolute proof they work.

smokie11

Reaction score
After all the GPS issues discussion, etc on the subject and all the times I tested it with "where's my Droid" and it didn't work. I thought the GPS still wasn't working but today my phone was stolen and where's my Droid application pinpointed it EXACTLY. I was able to successfully locate and recover it. GREAT story as when I found it he was trying to unlock it. The look on his face - Priceless.

It seems the thief it's someone you know or knows you, if you don't mind sharing: How far away from your home did you trace the phone to and was the culprit an adult?

If the questions are too personal simply ignore, just curious.

OP
wolfman4u

wolfman4u

Reaction score
I was helping my stepdaughter at her sandwich shoppe business and left phone on the counter where I was eating. We got busy and when the crowd all left phone was gone. Stepdaughter had a Droid so I tracked it to a real-estate office about 5 miles away. When I got there I went inside and looked around didn't see anything went back out to my car to retrack. While I was doing that he walked right in front if me and went and got in a pickup. I recognized him as a recent customer during the rush and I went over and opened up the door of his pickup and there he was with my phone in his hand trying to figure out the onlock pattern. Never seen him before that and he is around 35. The Guy with him that actually stole the phone was his dad age about 55. The story gets more complicated from here if u want to hear more I can post. He claims he found it outside the shoppe in the dirt and was just trying to find its rightful owner. Bottom line. He faces third degree burglary charges and has a criminal record. His dad wont talk to police. I face unlawful detention and harassment charges since I wouldn't let him back in his truck. He is also going to file a restraining order against me because while we were waiting for the police I told him to shutup and made him sit on the curb and wait and made it clear to him his life was in danger already and he believed me. Also since the incident happened in front of his employment he may lose his job and blames me for that and wants me compensate him for that since he was the good Guy and found the phone and was trying to find rightful owner. The detective told me he doesn't have any case against me and due to his record may face extended jail time. He is currently in police custody

OP
wolfman4u

wolfman4u

Reaction score
To smokie11: this is the second time phone was stolen. First time I had trouble getting a GPS reply when I finally did I found it at a house of someone I knew that was 33. I beat (I mean hard) on his front door because I could hear movement and kids inside. No answer so I went around to the back door and it was open. The find function worked and I could hear my phone so I announced I was coming in and getting it. It was in a kitchen cupboard so I recovered it and left. Several days later his wife came by and asked me about the incident. When she found out I went into their home and retrieved it she freaked out. Several days later she came back and apologized to me for the incident. She kicked him out because of his thievery and told me he had baracaded the 3 kids in a closet and ran out the back door and never thought it was an important enough incident to tell her. She called the police on me because she felt violated and I trespassed in her home. They told her I had the right to recover my property and couldn't do anything about it. Now her and I are friends her x to be is in jail in Seattle which is 300 miles away for trying to steal a car. He lived 3 blocks from where phone was stolen.

smokie11

Reaction score
Holy Cow!!! That is really something. I guess I am old and maybe come from a time when if you found something that was not yours you make an honest effort to return it to the rightful owner.

I make a living repairing appliances and working out on the road. Have returned at least 5 smartphones, cash, diamond rings and earrings found in driveways or inside appliances. It has never ocurred to me to keep what is not mine without trying my best to return to rightful owner.

Thanks for sharing, glad you got your phone back.:icon_ banana:

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
This actually just showing u how smartphones can be very envied and must be watched and even when stolen are recoverable

Jamis0n

Reaction score
This should be a success story thread!!! Haha

rockin:
sc nv eb01 v2.4 rom
midnight 1.1 theme

btw, this was 8pen-ed.