Gps tracking icon constantly on. Killing my battery

Veraster

Reaction score
My gps icon came up one day and started flashing like it does when google or Facebook is tracking your location and it never turned off. I tried disabling it in the settings but it won't turn off. I tried restarting and it's still on. I have the eclipse rom. Has anyone else had this problem? It's killing my battery I can't turn the thing off can anyone help?

Edit: after restarting it again I got it to were turning it off would fix it but it won't automatically quit "tracking" like it used to do and I have to manually turn it on and off if I'm using an app that requires knowing my location. Like weather. Why did it mess up like this all of a sudden?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

ELH

Reaction score
I'm stock so I can't comment on the ROM but I use a two prong approach for this in general. I leave the Google Locator service turned on, it requires very little power and usually provides a reasonable course location for most apps. For finer location like navigation or mapping I use the power widget on my home screen and just flip GPS on when required then flip it off when finished.