GPS tracking and mapper?

brandogirl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to all this, so I apologize if I do anything wrong.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what the best app would be for tracking my phone as I travel a long distance in a car and sending it to a map online that someone else could look to see where I am (using Google Maps, maybe?). Kinda like the maps airlines have on their sites to show the progress of a specific flight.

The updating would have to be automatic because, hey, driving. :) Battery draining isn't an issue because I would have the phone plugged in.

I've looked around a little at various apps, but I'm not sure they do everything that I want them to do, or are any good, and I thought I'd come on here for some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

OP
B

brandogirl

Reaction score
Check out My Tracks.

That's one of them that I looked at, but it doesn't seem to have automatic updating. I don't want to have to look at the phone and hit buttons while also driving. Unless there's a way to set it to automatic updates that I'm not seeing?

SGTiger

Reaction score
Not exactly what you were asking for, but you might consider Mobile Defense. It allows anyone that you give the username/password to login to the website. The website will send a message to your phone and the app will send your location. The website will then display your phone's location on a map.

https://www.mobiledefense.com/

Very useful when you lose your phone, but also useful for someone that needs to know where you are at any time (providing you're not in a building where the GPS or SMS doesn't work).

Last edited:

techguru

Reaction score
Two more to look at. EnRoute will give you a private URL that tracks you as long as the app is active which you can share with family. I like this over Latitude because it is only active when I explicitly tell it to be, so I can share it with people I don't necessarily always want to track me. (I use Latitude with a couple of close friends and my wife).

OnMyWay doesn't provide real-time tracking, but it sends out notifications at pre-determined intervals with your estimated arrival time at a destination.

Alan

PJKON

Reaction score
I also recommend GLYMPSE. You can specify how long you want people to follow your progress on a map and you can send it to multiple people through an email. (and it is free).