1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

GPS suddenly doesn't work

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by lexaevum, May 24, 2010.

1. lexaevum

lexaevum New Member

Yesterday my GPS stopped working. Now whenever I try navigation it just says "searching for GPS".
    In maps, I only get the "cell tower" circle.
    And even in the GPS Status app I get 0.00000 for my lat and long.

The "GPS is on" icon comes up in my task bar, but even after having a clear view of the sky for a literal hour it's still "searching for GPS".

I tried turning the gps off and on again and rebooting the phone. No good. I hope I don't have to default it.
    Anyone else?

(Las Vegas Nevada. Got 2.1-update1 and system updater says I'm up to date)
  2. gpsmapper

gpsmapper New Member

You said "even after having a clear view of the sky for a literal hour." Were you stationary during this time? If not, I'd reboot and leave it under open sky while stationary.
  3. lexaevum

lexaevum New Member

No, I was not stationary at the time, I had it up on the dash of my car while I drove home.

I pulled the battery last night (getting my bodyglove super-case off is a biatch) and that seems to have fixed it for now.
    Still makes me wonder what the issue was though.
  4. masters

masters New Member

Same the OP..

GPS had been working fine.. Then Tried to navigate, only got searching for GPS, tried battery pull, tried wifi off and on, and tried rebooting.

Stationary and moving wouldn't work, finally while going to a garage sale it, I got the arrow and it started following me..

Using GPS Status and GPS test, I would only get 1-2 satellites (with open sky) and they would be grey..

Had this happen before also.. Donno what causes it.
  5. david1pro

david1pro New Member

Mine has suddenly started doing this, about three weeks ago (the time of the former posts). It used to find the GPS from anywhere, within about 10 seconds of going into maps... now it can sit for 30 minutes under a clear sky and find nothing. What's changed??? Annoying!
  6. cymblue

cymblue New Member

Mine has been doing this for the last month as well - it will take a few minutes (sometimes quite a bit more) to get a signal - I'm wondering if this is an issue with my particular unit, an issue with the satellites, or an issue with Maps (or some combination). Really frustrating though.....
  7. CattleDawg

CattleDawg New Member

Searching for GPS

I am having the same issue all of a sudden. Pulled the battery and even did a factory reset. My wife has no problems with her Droid even when we are in the same location. Because it does work periodically, I am less inclined to believe it is a hardware issue. Thoughts?
  8. nds1970

nds1970 New Member

Not using a Moto Droid but...

I am having this same issue. I have an LG Ally and getting the same "Searching..." message.

Not sure where to turn for this one.

Nick
  9. tboysen00

tboysen00 New Member

Mine is the same way. Anybody find an answer?
  10. CattleDawg

CattleDawg New Member

11. sdfsmc

sdfsmc New Member

GPS Fix

I had the same problem with my Motorola Droid yesterday.

I called Verizon support, and they suggested that I pull the battery out while the phone was on. After waiting about a minute, I replaced the battery and rebooted the phone. They then suggested to us the *228 over the air programming and option 1 (on Verizon) to update the phone.

After the over the air update was complete, the GPS started up and was very quickly able to lock my position. All my settings and apps were retained and the phone is working great now. The support person recommended that I do this on a regular basis to clear out the phone.

I hope that this helps!
    dancedroid
  12. nubby

nubby New Member

1 Is program your phone, 2 is update roaming. Which choice is it?
  13. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

2 - It updates the tower list
  14. bill11222

bill11222 New Member

gps issue

great forum! droid is my first smart phone. when it is responsive i love it. when it lags i want to return it. i went a week where my internet searches took forever. i did a hard reset and it's better. my big issue is with my google maps 75% of the time can not determine my location. when it does work 25% of the time my location comes up in the east river. when this happens and i use google places i get listings for manhatten. i live in brooklyn. i have talked to 2 tech reps at verizon and both gave the same scripted response- this is not a verizon/motorola issue but instead an issue w the app. did my own "research" with a friend at my place friday with his iphone 3gs and another at a bar in brooklyn w his 3g. both acguired gps instantly while mine lagged.

i also disconnected advanced task killer after reading it was not needed and may effect gps. do i need to return my x for a new one? i want to like this phone. when it's on it's game it's blazing fast. please help! i do not want to be forced to get another phone.

also when i tried to search for a gps thread i get this response- The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search
  15. BobC43

BobC43 New Member

This has happened twice to me. Each time I immediately recovered by clearing the Cache Memory.
  16. raegx

raegx New Member

Dialing *228 then selecting option 2 worked like a charm. GPS location locks are incredibly fast now.
  17. IamEofA

IamEofA New Member

My Droid X still not connecting to GPS

I've tried all the suggested things in this post and still no connection.

I'm really pissed that Verizon did something to their networks because my phone just like all of yours got messed up around June of 2011.

What I've tried:

1. Pulled battery while phone was on. Rebooted = no luck
    2. *228 option 1, reboot (waited 15min) = no luck
    3. *228 option 2, reboot, (waited 15min) = no luck

Prior to June of 2011 my phone connected almost anywhere everytime. This was the biggest selling point for me switching to an Android phone and Verizon. Now it won't even connect GPS in the clearest of nights, driving on a freeway, with no mountains in sight.

Can anyone suggest something else before I throw this phone in the garbage.
  18. raegx

raegx New Member

I used the *228 method and it seemed to work a week, but then stopped again. I then stumbled upon another solution (in a forum I can't remember, sorry). 1) Find a movie ticket stub/business card/other piece of thick paper. 2) Take off your battery cover 3) Locate the small round peg in a depression right under the 'Batter Release' tab that is red. 4) Cut your movie ticket stub/business card/etc so that a tiny flap can be wedged between the battery and the left wall well where the battery sits. 5) Fold paper the paper so it covers the peg. 6) Cut the paper so it fits just inside the battery cover. 7) Take the paper out and cut it so it goes slightly over the top and bottom of the well the peg sits in. 8) Wedge that piece back in there. 9) Do this for a second piece, and make it ~1/2 an inch, but wedge it so that it sits above where your flash card is. It should _not_ cover the flash card. Just be above it. 10) Replace battery cover. NOTE: As a side effect this will make your case a little harder to put on. Be careful as you will have to apply a little force to get it on the first time. Another side effect is that your battery cover doesn't come off as easy if you drop your phone ^_^. GPS has worked fine over the last few weeks.
Search tags for this page
android gps doesn't work
android gps doesn't work anymore
android gps doesn't work
android gps doesn't work anymore
android gps not working anymore
droid gps doesn't work
droid x gps does not work

droid x gps doesn't work

gps doesn't work android

gps doesn't work on android

gps doesn't work on droid