GPS Slow to activate

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by Mungboy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mungboy

Mungboy New Member

My Bionic takes forever to get the GPS up and running. Anyone else having a similar problem?
  2. Scribble

Scribble New Member

takes for ever to load the app or find a gps signal?
  3. Mungboy

Mungboy New Member

To get the GPS signal...I can't understand why it takes so long if I'm outside to get the GPS signal.
  4. jhom

jhom Member

Do you have the GPS setting turned on in your general settings? Also, which program are you using with the GPS?
  5. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

I always fire up 'GPS Status' free in the market (Play) before I turn on GPS. It locks faster on than GPS alone. It has some very useful features.
  6. wseyller

wseyller New Member

I have noticed the same thing lately. Can take about 10 the 20 seconds to get a lock. It use to lock almost instantly. I'm on the latest stock firmware.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  7. Scribble

Scribble New Member

I second GPS status. It also has some features for resetting your A-GPS stuff which helps speed things up.
  8. wseyller

wseyller New Member

GPS Status is great but I only used that to help with phones that had inferior gps hardware/software. Motorola droid phones have always worked perfect in my experience without the need for such apps. Used to I could get a gps lock with a second or two even inside my house as long as I was within a few feet of a window. Just wondering what is going on or if it is something simple that a hard reset would fix. I don't really remember when it started happening so I'm clueless if it started after upgrading to the latest OTA.
  9. Scribble

Scribble New Member

Well suit yourself... I've had this happen a couple of times, and a quick use of GPS Status usually does the trick. (Don't have to use it every time, just when you're seeing it not seeming to work right.)
  10. jhom

jhom Member

The GPS should come on immediately if you have it set on. If not, a reset might do the trick. Otherwise, your GPS may be defective if does this outside.
  11. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

It seems that weather, sun spots, other em activity, etc. can affect the gps lock. Sometimes it happens quickly, sometimes not. I do find that Gps Status helps when I'm not acquiring sats quickly. Other uses for Gps Status include a leveling tool, compass, gps calibration, and as mentioned, help with the A-GPS function. It is definitely worth having, especially when needing help with the satellite lock.
  12. Scribble

Scribble New Member

The fact that they work as well as they do in phones actually amazes me... When I got my first car GPS back in the day I needed an external antenna unless I wanted to hold the thing out my window while I drove. You could put a sheet on top of the thing and it would loose signal. :p
  13. Christobal

Christobal New Member

I've been having trouble locking on to the GPS over the past few weeks (un-rooted). It seemed to be a slight problem when I first got my original Bionic on release day, but cleared up after software updates. I am on my 3rd Bionic with the most recent OS and since I received it in March, have had NO problem with the GPS until now. I use GPS essentials and, although I can see almost a dozen or so GPS satellites, it still takes quite a wile for them to "fix" on my position. This has become quite a nuisance when I am in the car trying to bring up directions. :(
  14. redspawnsilver

redspawnsilver New Member

had this exact problem too... Still slightly do, but I am 90% better now... First off, what version are you running for you phone? I presume .905?
  15. Christobal

Christobal New Member

Yes, I got the 905 update several weeks ago. Not sure if my problem started then as I didn't really notice it until recently.
  16. redspawnsilver

redspawnsilver New Member

Are you willing to load in the .232 ice cream sandwich build? You can revert back to .902 when the OTA comes out, then get the standard upgrade. .232 solved my issues with GPS and most of the time it works well now, again 90% of the time.... Stupid .905 messed with my stuff too...

I don't know who was in charge of that update, but they need to be put in charge of the broom closet...

Only thing is that you will have to be willing to revert back once the standard update comes out, but you will love ice cream sandwich so much, you may not care to switch back...
  17. torrentman10

torrentman10 New Member

I had the same exact problem you have. It messed up a whole when I got it around release day and now its doing it again just recently. Annoys the crap out of me since I use the GPS function for a biking app that tracks where and how fast I go. I took it to the Verizon store the other day, adn they couldn't figure it out either, so they're sending me another one.
  18. Camoxjeep

Camoxjeep New Member

I'm on 232 and since being on this leak my gps sucks. 4200 meters off, takes forever to get close. Before it was instant.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
Search tags for this page
android gps location slow
android gps slow long
android phone slow to turn on gps
bionic gps very slow
droid bionic can't find gps
droid bionic can't get gps fix

droid bionic gps fix

droid bionic gps problems

gps androis too slow problem