1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

GPS semi-works

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by pr1m3, May 17, 2010.

1. pr1m3

pr1m3 New Member

After I installed bb 1.0 some apps can't connect to GPS. My weather.com app can connnect to GPS to find my my location but the stock news and weather app cannot find my location. I'm not sure what would do that, any ideas?
  2. cinematicmatt

cinematicmatt New Member

had this problem... i think i just rebooted in order for it to work...

reboot or pull the battery?
  3. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

If you go into "Settings" and then "Location & Security" is the bubble for "Use Wireless Networks" checked?

I suspect that some programs maybe are trying to access your cell network (not GPS) to determine location and if that bubble isn't checked, they won't be able to.

I'm merely speculating here though. Worth a try.
  4. vbhokiefan

vbhokiefan Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I'm having issues as well. Installed BB last night and this morning the GPS cannot locate me in the map app. Weatherbug didn't update my location either.

Not near a window in my building, but it never was an issue before. I'll try to walk over to a window later to see if that changes it or try again on the way home.

I do have GPS checked and wireless network unchecked. Oh, and I rebooted, but haven't done a battery pull yet.
  5. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

I'm saying that you need to have the wireless bubble checked.

If you're in a building, the GPS can't pick up a signal because it needs line of sight to the satellite in order to work. You need to check wireless so that when you are out of view of the GPS, it can use the cell network to determine your location.

I always leave wireless network checked and I turn on GPS only when i'm trying to use navigation or something where I need to be more precise. It saves battery that way.
  6. vbhokiefan

Thanks for the reply.

I have had the cell network unchecked forever (when unrooted) and the phone had no problems locating me. (If it was checked, weatherbug would throw off the GPS location by a couple of miles)

I also did a battery pull and the same thing happens. Just tried Foursquare and it can't find me either.
  7. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

Well, the GPS needs line of sight to work so if you always had wireless unchecked, i'm not sure where it was getting location info. Did you have a default location entered? I know that most of the weather programs give you the option of entering a default location and it will just give you the info from there.

But what's happening to you doesn't sound like a mistake. It sounds like it is working as expected. Anyone in a building, that has wireless network unchecked is going to fail to get locations. That's just the nature of the beast. Unless maybe you had wi-fi turned on... it could potentially use that to get locations if you were connected to a network that way. Bottom line is that GPS won't determine a location if it can't see the satellite. So your phone needs to use some other network (either wireless cell or wifi) to determine location.
  8. vbhokiefan

I guess I'll hafta wander over to the windows later or wait until I actually get to leave work.

I'll let ya know how that goes.

Thanks again.
  9. pr1m3

pr1m3 New Member

DMoralize, thanks for the tip, you were right, it was unchecked but GPS was checked. Weather.com app must us GPS while the New and Weather app uses Wireless location. Thanks again.
  10. vbhokiefan

It worked. While I've never had a problem inside home or work, I guess being inside coupled with the wonderfully horrendous weather I didn't realize we were having was keeping it from connecting.

Once outside, it followed me all the way home.

Thanks one last time.
  11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

A little off topic, but just for the record, gps visibility is a little more complicated than line of sight. The signals will penetrate some materials, so in some buildings it is not a problem. Metal is a killer, but anything less needs to be tested. And for the old gee whiz file, gps signals penetrate folliage canopies differently. Pine trees are easier to get signal than are hardwoods. Water content in the needles/leaves. And these days we have lots of satellites generally in view to help with these issues, but bear in mind that GPS satellites are NOT in geosync with the earth nor your location, so your signal will always have that variability.

There is a market app called GPS Utility that works very well with the droid to see exactly what your GPS is doing. The free version has an advertisement line that I think can be turned off, but the pay version is add free. Given the amount of grief that many folks have with gps, it sure would have been nice for Google/VZW to include something akin to a program like this. Heck, we at least have bars for phone signal, given that GPS is so important to the phone, a little factory GPS info on number of satellites etc. sure would have been helpful.

Craig
  12. vbhokiefan

Craig,

Thanks for the tip.
Search tags for this page

andriod semi gps apps

droid x gps utility
motorola droid x navigation app won't connect
motorola razri wont pick up gps

semi gps app

semi gps app android