GPS Sat location

erict

Reaction score
With Goggle GPS, how does one tell how many satellites it's locked into? My location is off a little.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I don't think Google Maps has a built in GPS status GUI. You have to get another free program that does this. I use GPS Status and it shows a listing of all the satellites it's receiving and when it makes a lock.

When you say it's off a little, what do you mean "a little"? If you are within 30 feet or so, that's about as good as you'll get. Remember the device is a phone first (well, maybe a pocket computer) and a GPS second, third, or fourth. It definitely receives up to 12 simultaneous satellite signals like a dedicated GPS but it's not going to be as accurate. You won't really be able to use it for accurate geocaching for example. Still, it knows where it is on the map in terms of driving around so it's accurate enough for my purposes and it works about as well as my dedicated Garmin units.

I have used the Google Navigation feature and it works fine, always giving me the right information at the right time. I have also used My Tracks which is about as nice as a 3-year-old kid drawing on a map with a crayon but it gets the job done. Not perfect but good enough for me to be able to use it in an unfamiliar area without worry.

But don't expect an exact location. You can't even really get that with a top of the line Garmin or Magellan unit.