GPS Problems only in the afternoon

DIYiT

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but I can't seem to find the answer with the search function.

I've had my Droid X since Sunday. So far, I've managed to get the GPS functionality to only work once after around 4:00 PM.

It seems very weird that the GPS works in the morning when I'm going to class, but not after work. So far, I've noticed it will work on my way to class at 8 am. I can leave the GPS on (with no signal in the building) or turn it off for my 2 hour morning class and it will pick up in 20 seconds during the dinner hour. Repeat the same process for 3 hours during my afternoon class and it will still pick up again on my way too work at 4.

There have been a few occasions where the GPS won't lock at all, but I've narrowed that down to a task manager which interfered with the lock which has since been removed after recommendations I found elsewhere online.

However, the problem I'm having when I leave work at 10 pm is that the GPS locks, but is off by over 250 miles. Also, while driving straight north, the GPS showed a constant 50 mph regardless of my speed, but was making a east-north-east line across the countryside. When I turned a 90° corner to head east, the line it was tracking changed to an east-south-east line, but the GPS was reporting between 50 MPH and 120 MPH depending on speed.

Now, has anybody heard of a problem like this or know what I can do resolve the issue?

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but I can't seem to find the answer with the search function.

I've had my Droid X since Sunday. So far, I've managed to get the GPS functionality to only work once after around 4:00 PM.

It seems very weird that the GPS works in the morning when I'm going to class, but not after work. So far, I've noticed it will work on my way to class at 8 am. I can leave the GPS on (with no signal in the building) or turn it off for my 2 hour morning class and it will pick up in 20 seconds during the dinner hour. Repeat the same process for 3 hours during my afternoon class and it will still pick up again on my way too work at 4.

There have been a few occasions where the GPS won't lock at all, but I've narrowed that down to a task manager which interfered with the lock which has since been removed after recommendations I found elsewhere online.

However, the problem I'm having when I leave work at 10 pm is that the GPS locks, but is off by over 250 miles. Also, while driving straight north, the GPS showed a constant 50 mph regardless of my speed, but was making a east-north-east line across the countryside. When I turned a 90° corner to head east, the line it was tracking changed to an east-south-east line, but the GPS was reporting between 50 MPH and 120 MPH depending on speed.

Now, has anybody heard of a problem like this or know what I can do resolve the issue?

I had something similar happen once. I don't know exactly what fixed it, but I toggled gps a few times, I made sure that in the location settings, use network and assisted gps were selected, and I restarted my phone.

I haven't had any problems since.

OP
D

DIYiT

Reaction score
Well, for more information, I have not installed any programs since last night when I was getting all the errors. I did not remove any programs & no restarting my phone. When I got up this morning, I popped into the navigation screen and withing 5 seconds, the GPS had a lock inside of my house.

Still looking for advice.

gpsmapper

Reaction score
Not sure about this specific issue, but I do have some general advice. Leave GPS enabled all the time. Unless there is an app calling for location data, it pulls minimal (if any) battery power. See if this helps.