1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

GPS problem

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by ssod, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ssod

ssod New Member

I have had my droid for 3 weeks and love it. The GPS was working great until I updated google maps. Now when I try to navigate, either the droid is "searching for GPS" or if it finally does start, it will lose the signal in a matter of minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
  2. OpalCat

OpalCat New Member

Have you rebooted? My husband's GPS stopped working and he rebooted and everything was fine.
  3. ssod

ssod New Member

Yes I did.
    I took it to the Verizon store and he suggested removing the battery, which I did to no avail
  4. butch350

butch350 New Member

Uninstall/Install again. (google maps)
  5. forkup

forkup New Member

Uninstall reboot then see if gps works, if so reinstall maps. That will pin down the problem.
  6. deere_x475guy

deere_x475guy New Member

Make sure "Use wireless networks" is checked along with "Use GPS satelites" under settings > location and security > my location.
  7. dwood

dwood New Member

Mine did the exact same thing last night. After updating Google maps the GPS would not see or lock on to satellites. But since I updated in the morning and didn't try the GPS until evening . . . I didn't associate the two right away.

I pulled the battery, no help. Reflected on what had changed during the day and that is when I remembered the map update. Uninstalled it: the GPS immediately started working.

Waited a few hours, re-installed the map update. Now it is still working.

Good luck with yours!

DON
  8. ssod

ssod New Member

As suggested by others, I did the same thing (uninstall/install) and now it works fine again

Thanks for your help!
    Steve
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I love happy endings. See Steve there is no reason to visit a Verizon Store, we can fix it for you right here.;)
  10. fox_91

fox_91 New Member

I too have been having issues with Maps, since I have upgraded for version 4.1. If I uninstall 4.1 updates, Maps locks on quick and is accurate. However with 4.1 my GPS will work ok for a while, then says "searching for GPS" and sometimes it will lock onto a location near Chicago (I am in Columbus Ohio).

I have tried rebooting (which fixes it for a while), but the only thing that seems to be consistent and working well, is not upgrading the software, which is ok, but I always get bugged that there is a update for Maps. Anyone else getting weird locations for their GPS?