GPS problem

AdamMax350

Reaction score
trying to get directions in another city.

1 How do I get the turn by turn directions?
2 How do I get it to stop timing out so darn quick?
3 when I'm in the new city will gps automatically update?
4 I just want it to work!

I'm sure someone can help. thanks!!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I use GPS everyday in lots of different cities, so I am not sure what you are asking. Please clarify and I will answer if I can.

mjs31

Reaction score
trying to get directions in another city.

1 How do I get the turn by turn directions?
3 when I'm in the new city will gps automatically update?
4 I just want it to work!

I'm sure someone can help. thanks!!

If you have GPS turned on it should automatically update as you go from city to city. Turn by turn will work if you have directions set up. In Maps, click on the menu button and get directions. Enter an address and select it then click navigate. It will give you turn by turn.
You can turn off auto dim or I am sure there is an app to keep the gps on. Keep Lit comes to mind as an app that can keep the screen on for whatever apps you choose. I would suggest having it plugged in though.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Have you tried working with the Maps app? Or Nav? I think you wouldn't have these questions if you did.

th9203

Reaction score
1 How do I get the turn by turn directions? Open the Maps app, press the menu and directions selections. Two boxes will be displayed. The first defaults to "my location" and the second to "end point". Fill in the starting and ending locations and press "Go". That is all there is to it.

2 How do I get it to stop timing out so darn quick? It sounds like you are trying to work with the Nav before you go out where you have to rely on it. There is an included app called Car Dock that will keep the system "lighted" while you work with it. When the Droid is installed in a real Car Doc it automatically switches to this mode. Be aware that it will use the battery at a rapid rate so keep your car charger handy. :icon_evil:

3 when I'm in the new city will gps automatically update? An unqualified YES. :icon_ banana:

4 I just want it to work! It does but like anything else it takes PRACTISE which noone else can do for you. :)

Some folks here advocate using an alternative method using voice search. I have less luck with that as I find the speech patterns required for this to be somewhat difficult for me to reproduce. :icon_eek: You may find that it works for you.

Happy Trails... :icon_ banana:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you are actually in navigation it won't time out. Be sure to use a car charger.

Turn by turn will work if you have directions set up. In Maps, click on the menu button and get directions. Enter an address and select it then click navigate. It will give you turn by turn.
I'd suggest opening the car home, hitting the Voice Search button and telling it "Navigate to...". Definitely the easiest way to use it IMO.