GPS outside US

coppermouse

Reaction score
Will the GPS navigation work in other countries besides the US? Do I have to do anythting special or get a special app to store the maps on my phone ?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here we go again...

Your GPS receiver doesn't care what country it is in. It doesn't need data. It just needs signal from the GPS satellites. All the GPS receiver does it determine your location: latitude, longitude, altitude & time. Everything else (maps, prompts, tracking, POI's, whatever) is supplied by your GPS app.

Your GPS app, on the other hand, may require data, may have country restrictions, etc. It really depends on the specific GPS app you're talking about. Verify that nav app that you intend to use works in the country you're going to. I highly suggest a nav app that uses locally stored maps, such as CoPilot, Navigon, etc as international data roaming charges add up very quickly.

OP
C

coppermouse

Reaction score
The app I am talking about is the built in navigate that came with the phone (D2G) (it has an icon of a blue triangle thingy. Will it work without data? If no is there another app that would be better where data is not available? Thanks for the reply

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last year, my wife and I visited Montreal. As soon as we crossed to border I lost all data service. Not sure where you are travelling but a call to VZW customer service should provide the info you need. They advised me to text, when I had access to wifi, instead of calling because I would not incur any fees. Let us know what you learn.

OP
C

coppermouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have Droid 2 global with unlimited global data, but I am concerned about navigation in rural eastern Europe where data coverage may not be present. Does the navigate app that comes with the phone work without data or should I get a differenct app

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Prior to your departure research the Market for what other apps are available. When you arrive at your destination if the stock app does not work download a different one.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've not tried that but I would make a good backup first!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Again, I suggest using a nav app with locally stored maps for international travel. Check your carrier's international data roaming rates to see why.

The app I am talking about is the built in navigate that came with the phone (D2G) (it has an icon of a blue triangle thingy. Will it work without data? If no is there another app that would be better where data is not available? Thanks for the reply
Google Maps Nav is the app. No, it will not work without data. Read my post again for some suggestions to start with. I'm not guaranteeing that any of them will work in whatever countries you intend to visit.

Dingbat

Reaction score
Mine would not in France last week...but I did not try any work arounds.