GPS not working

pchakmak

Reaction score
My GPS locator is not working. It cannot locate me on the map. I have tried to reboot my Droid and that didn't work. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Paul

jstwondrng

Reaction score
All,

Recently, my GPS on the motorola droid stopped working. I have taken my phone over to Verizon wireless and they couldn't figure out why it isn't working either. They suggested resetting the phone but I'd like to see if anyone here has any GPS issues before doing so and if you were able to resolve it.

jstwondrng

RedTarget

Reaction score
One of the guys I work with had an issue where the GPS could never find a satellite when using Maps or any other gps based application. What ended up being the ticket was removing other 3rd party applications that used the GPS one by one until the problem was resolved. The app that was causing the issue was "Navigation To Go". Now, I'm not saying that there's a problem with this application... it just was the cause of the problem for one person I know.

So, I suggest removing 3rd party apps that use GPS (if any exist on your device) and see how that goes.

Good Luck!

jstwondrng

Reaction score
One of the guys I work with had an issue where the GPS could never find a satellite when using Maps or any other gps based application. What ended up being the ticket was removing other 3rd party applications that used the GPS one by one until the problem was resolved. The app that was causing the issue was "Navigation To Go". Now, I'm not saying that there's a problem with this application... it just was the cause of the problem for one person I know.

So, I suggest removing 3rd party apps that use GPS (if any exist on your device) and see how that goes.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I'll have to go thru all my apps to see if any use GPS settings. I'm wondering tho, I have two launchers on my system... Could they be the problem? One is ADW.Launcher and the other is LauncherPro.

jstwondrng

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Try cycling GPS off and then on. If that doesn't help, power cycle the Droid. If that doesn't help, dial *228 and select option 1 to reactivate. The latter generally solves my worst case GPS fix issues.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
I have removed all apps that utilize GPS and will also try the reactivation (*228). I'm hoping one of the two work... Really don't wanna do a factory reset if I can help it :)

woodnymph79

Reaction score
I too am having problems with my GPS. Specifically with Foursquare and Google. I will try those suggestions, but this is really irritating. Did it work for you to reactivate your phone?

Thanks.

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW navigator seems to work for me but not the 2 golf gps apps i have. im gonna try and few of those tips and see.

jstwondrng

Reaction score
Well, I tried deleting apps that utilized the GPS but I still couldn't get it to work. I finally decided to restore the device and it is working again now.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
I downloaded a few apps that require the use of GPS, and none of them seem to be picking up the GPS signal. Is there a setting I am missing? I click the gps button on, within the "slidedown" menu... but is there a setting elsewhere that I am missing?

Thanks!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
So you went into settings/location and security and made sure gps is enabled? Also you may as well check the other boxes too (use wireless networks etc..) it will help get a better lock on your position. Also try a reboot

Sent from my Liberated DROID2

noslenwerd

Reaction score
Yes.. Which seems to do the same thing as simply clicking the button in the shade/pull down menu.. Still having the same issue.

To clarify I clicked Settings > Location and Security > Standalone GPS Services

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes.. Which seems to do the same thing as simply clicking the button in the shade/pull down menu.. Still having the same issue.

To clarify I clicked Settings > Location and Security > Standalone GPS Services
yes you want both standalone GPS services checked as well as google location services checked
then you can open your 3rd party GPS assistance apps and set them up...

obviously on wifi you will get better and faster lock but 3g should work fine....also check out this video for a tutorial on GPS

[video=youtube;y8MkZjMZqvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MkZjMZqvs&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - GPS issues and how to fix them + GPS Mod from calebv2 over at XDA...[/video]