Gps not finding location!

tdog7879

Reaction score
All day to i been trying to get my GPS to find my location and it just searching for GPS! I have tryied turn gps on and off ,cleared gps history,batt. pull. I was using the GPS the yesterday and it worked fine. The only thing i have installed since yesterday was a couple of video games....Also when i took the phone outside and got some driving directions the GPS thought i was driving???? Last thing it has been a rainy.stormy day in VA ...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas???

THANKS

jlnguyen

Reaction score
I had the same problem but it cleared up as soon as I turned onto a road. If yours doesn't fix itself, I would just take it back to verizon for a new one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
you're probably in a bad location where it can't pick up gps signals.

modified

Reaction score
Mine has the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. It says searching for GPS and nothing is happening. 3G is fine, 3bars in the area. (It's a populated area)

mjs31

Reaction score
Guys...gps is based on sattelites and nothing else. Could be an issue with cloud cover or something else. It happens....give it some time and see what happens. I doubt it has anything to do with the DROID. Hell...I get the same issue with directv or xm radio...patience people!!!!

datguybk

Reaction score
i usually dont get a GPS signal even when im at full bars and 3G until i step outside with clear skies hen it just takes a couple of seconds to lock onto my location, try using *228 and updating your PRL?

Laurence5905

Reaction score
i usually dont get a GPS signal even when im at full bars and 3G until i step outside with clear skies hen it just takes a couple of seconds to lock onto my location, try using *228 and updating your PRL?

Full bars, 3G, PRL -- none of these things have anything to do with GPS.

GPS signals come from the GPS satellite network. Cloud cover, tall trees, tall buildings, buildings and structures made from steel-reinforced concrete -- these things will affect GPS.

Funky145

Reaction score
I had the same problem yesterday where my droid couldn't lock on to any satellites and I was outdoors. I think that it was finally able to get a lock ~4pm.

catsailr

Reaction score
The signal from the GPS satelites is very weak and you usually can't receive the signal indoors. Even outdoors, trees can block the signal. I was using surveying grade GPS equipment last week in the woods and had trouble locking on to the satelites, even through there were no leaves on the trees.
There is a GPS App you can download that shows the satelite positions and the signal strength of the ones locked on.

Benton

Reaction score
Try using GPS Status, not sure about its accuracy for detailed use (it may be great but I have not validated it yet), but this will show what your GPS receiver is detecting. I am pretty sure I got this through Marketplace.

OP
tdog7879

tdog7879

Reaction score
I had the same problem but it cleared up as soon as I turned onto a road. If yours doesn't fix itself, I would just take it back to verizon for a new one.
I did this and a batt. pull and after the reboot it worked...YaaaaaY!!!!!!:icon_ banana:

DarrellM5

Reaction score
My GPS totally wigged out for a couple of hours last weekend in Las Vegas. I was driving in the wide open with clear skies and no obstructions. It kept taking forever to get a fix and when it finally locked on, it was way off. This condition eventually fixed itself and that's the only problem it's ever had.