GPS not connecting anymore

tu3218

Reaction score
So within this past weekend my droids gps stopped connecting an finding satellites. I try to connect and it never finds satellites when previously it would connect within 30 seconds. At first I thought it was maybe because my rooted droid, but my dads nonrooted droid is also not connecting. Is anyone else having problems? I live around Baltimore, Maryland if that has anything to do with it.

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
man this getting really annoying. Is it possible for it to be tough to connect at certain times?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I have had this problem a few times, doing the #228 and 1 -- then restarting made it so the GPS would connect instantly, otherwise it just keeps blinking and blinking.

crf69

Reaction score
So within this past weekend my droids gps stopped connecting an finding satellites. I try to connect and it never finds satellites when previously it would connect within 30 seconds. At first I thought it was maybe because my rooted droid, but my dads nonrooted droid is also not connecting. Is anyone else having problems? I live around Baltimore, Maryland if that has anything to do with it.
you work for HTC?

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
you work for HTC?

No I dont?

MrTommy

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I don't often try the GPS thing cuz I'm GPS rich with real GPS's. But just today I tried it here in a hotel room in Las Vegas. No dice... I waited several minutes and it didn't hook up. Yes, I had the GPS option turned on. I'll have to try it later when I leave tonight.

Always something huh...

jamko101

Reaction score
I have had this problem a few times, doing the #228 and 1 -- then restarting made it so the GPS would connect instantly, otherwise it just keeps blinking and blinking.

I had the same problem a while back and reprogramming the cell towers helped. I think the number is *228 and not #228 as McGuire posted above. Try this out and see if it helps.

crspang

Reaction score
That is strange. Maybe a network problem. If it happens again try unselecting using celltowers for GPS and see if you can get a fix strictly using sats.

darreno1

Reaction score
If restarting your droid (or removing the battery) didn't solve your problem then it's most likely a network problem. I had issues about a month and a half ago where it was off and on then all of a sudden they cleared up.

Also note that sometimes it can take several minutes to get a fix even though the norm is just a few seconds.

Last edited:
OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah I'm guessing it was a network problem even though I wouldn't think it would need the network since it has an actual GPS. I just hope its good for now.

darreno1

Reaction score
yeah I'm guessing it was a network problem even though I wouldn't think it would need the network since it has an actual GPS. I just hope its good for now.

This is a very good point and I've often wondered about this when mine didn't work but I think it defaults to the verizon network to get the fixes first, then try to do it standalone. What I think happens, is it gets some kind of signal from the Verizon network and keeps trying that instead of switching to standalone sometimes. I think sometims these signals are screwed up and causes the GPS chip to do crazy things (show location as being elsewhere, over the sea etc) while the actual sat signals are always accurate. This is just a wild guess and could be totally off base.