GPS Navigation screen goes black but works in background

voltjerk

Reaction score
I have a rooted RAZR that has a navigation issue I have not been able to solve. I have had phone about 2 months with this problem. When turning on navigation, it will run a few minutes and then the screen goes black. Navigation voice continues. If you tap the toolbar to bring down the tab to hit to reopen the screen, it still stays black. You can still see the irections change on the tap down screen. You can not hit any button to get the screen back on the navigation to show the map. You must reboot the phone to get the screen back. You can no longer cut off the navigation. I have disabled the automatic dimming control in the settings. Have been to Veizon store with no help from them, phone was used so no Verizon help on replacement. I have done a factory reset losing root and reinstalling apps. Still does the same thing. Any suggestions? Never had navigation issues on my droid X. Navigation did not work when the phone was stock, it never has worked correctly!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Was software version are you on?

Have you tried using Matt's Utility in the Hacks Section to fast boot back to stock? Maybe your navigator APP is corrupt somehow, maybe the person before you had a custom ROM on it or something. A factory reset is nice, but fast boot will make sure those files are all completely replaced and stock.

OP
V

voltjerk

Reaction score
I did use Matt's utility and fastboot back to stock several times! I am on version 181 was on 173. Same problem on both versions. I think it might be a sensor issue since it seems to happen when I physically move the phone. Thats when the screen goes black and I have to reboot to stop GPS.

OP
V

voltjerk

Reaction score
It turns out if I disable the screen rotation in the settings, the GPS works perfect! I enable the rotation when not using the GPS. Certainly a bug issue.