GPS Navigation App - Opinions

Reaction score
Hey guys. I need to purchase an app that downloads the maps to my phone when navigting out of cell coverage. I am leaning toward Co-Pilot right now. It seems to be the closest to tomtom/garmin as far as user interface and such. Is there anything better out there?

techguru

Reaction score
Another one to look at is Navigon. It has a few issues, but has the most accurate maps (Navteq). If you search the forum I wrote a detailed review and there was some good discussion in the thread. (i would give you the link but I am posting from the mobile version so it is cumbersome to find and copy it)

OP
H
Reaction score
Copilot has two versions for sale on the app market. one is $5, one is $20. They call the $5 USA, the $20 North america. Assuming the USA one is just the us. North america covers canada and mexico?

maxnicks

Reaction score
I got the copilot on black friday for $2.99. Seems to do pretty well. I'd spend $5.00 for it just for the peace of mind of being able to navigate without cell/wifi.

BigDaddyNYY

Reaction score
That would be my assumption, USA vs. North America would be inclusion of Canada. Looks like you missed a price drop on these, but would expect to see another drop after the Google Maps update, as purchasing this will not be needed after GMaps allows for caching the of maps, so you may want to wait a week before purchase.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not wait for the new version of google maps which is going to allow download of the maps to handle no coverage issues. It is rumored to be released shortly.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...date-provides-3d-views-offline-mode-more.html
It's a bit early to tell but from the description's I've read it seems to only cache locations that you frequent or routes that you pre-plan. Pre-caching is a PITA IMO. If I wanted local maps I'd want them all locally stored and ready to use at any time. Not sure about the OP.

OP
H
Reaction score
Do not want to Preload my maps. I want the whole USA map on my phone, just like my Tomtom. ^Agreed, total PITA.

BigDaddyNYY

Reaction score
I get your point, but by caching the maps as you need them/route them may keep the information more current. My comments are speculative as the google maps update is not even out yet, but just giving options.

I personally would be fine with the app caching the maps as I need them rather than taking up 2 gb as I don't anticipate being in areas without service when I need directions. More of an issue when I loose navigation once in route, this is when it had been an issue for me in the past.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App