GPS Lock Issues

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Coolsaber57, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey gang,

For the past few days, I've had problems getting a GPS lock. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but it will not lock onto my location no matter how long I leave it on.

Has anyone else had this problem before and fixed it? I've tried clearing both Maps cache and then Davlik cache (just in case) but no luck. I remember reading about some program that cleared GPS cache, but I can't remember what it's called or if it will even work for the Droid. I'm going to continue to look for that and try it, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just want to be sure that it's not a software problem before I go through the whole exchange process at Best Buy.

Thanks in advance!

2. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you activating the GPS from a 3rd party application, the stock power tool widget or are going into settings-->location and security-->use gps. The reason for me asking is there are some applications are there that make the GPS act screwy if you try to enable it from the application.

3. schwinn

schwinn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that when the assistive data is missing or old, the GPS will take a very long time to lock... if ever. I also noticed that it will sometimes fail even with this data and if you're moving at the time (my wife's Eris did this).

That being said, I have often used GPS Status ( GPS Status & Toolbox - Android app on AppBrain ) to reset the chip itself (the chip has its own data storage that doesn't get reset with data/davlik wipes. In addition, this program can download new assistive GPS data... which can speed up the initial lock.

I advise running this program, reset the GPS, redownload the A-GPS data, stay still, and you should get a lock within minutes. Again, my wife's re-locked within 10 seconds of doing this at home. It did NOT lock while we were on the road, driving.

4. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for, I'm going to give it a try and use my GPS tomorrow on the way to work. Thank you!

Edit: Couldn't wait. Downloaded the app, cleared AGPS data, redownloaded and bingo, works like a charm. Thanks again!

#4 Coolsaber57, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
Search tags for this page
android clear gps cache
android reset gps cache
clear android gps cache
clear cache gps android

clear gps cache android

how to clean gps cache
how to clear gps cache android
motorola droid clear agps cache
reset gps cache android