GPS Location

Irishpapa

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help with an App. I travel a lot and very seldom to the same location. I would love to find an App that I could click my location when I am at a Hotel. Then as I travel the city I can find the way back to the Hotel easy. I could always put the address in my contacts, but why if I only use it a couple of time. Thanks in advance.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
So basically, you want to make a trail, then follow it backwards to get home? Sounds like an amazing idea for an app.

bennyj

Reaction score
You could use the My Maps Editor by google, then you can create your custom maps by entering the address or select get current location, then name that location to say Motel 6. Then when you go into google maps, select layers>> more layers>> my maps, select it and navigate back to it. To take it further you could name a maps "motels I stay at" and keep track of the different motels you stay at, and then navigate back to any one of them at any time.

My maps editor is really a great tool if you take the time to learn and use it.You wont regret it.

Guchi

Reaction score
try 3banana or wheres my car might do what you want too. i would do 3banana with the compass app though

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My maps editor is really a great tool if you take the time to learn and use it.You wont regret it.

Is it functional? I'm being serious. When I first got the phone and looked at the editor I was rather annoyed. The maps that I had previously saved on GoogleMaps (in My Maps) are useless on my Droid (unless I'm missing something). They have the start and end locations, and just a straight (direct) line between the two points. No matter what I do I can not get it to tie in for directions or anything else.

Please help, I'm sure I'm missing something... I wouldn't think Google would release something so useless.

hotsauce

Reaction score
google latitude

Google Latitude

Look at this link.. (well it wont show the link so just google it.. google/latitude It keeps a map of where you have been and shows you where you are at any moment. then you can use your google maps and use the navigator to get back to you wanted location. You can also turn on different items to let you show your location to other people that you want to share with!

Hope this works.. I am going to SF this week and just loaded it.

bennyj

Reaction score

Is it functional? I'm being serious. When I first got the phone and looked at the editor I was rather annoyed. The maps that I had previously saved on GoogleMaps (in My Maps) are useless on my Droid (unless I'm missing something). They have the start and end locations, and just a straight (direct) line between the two points. No matter what I do I can not get it to tie in for directions or anything else.

Please help, I'm sure I'm missing something... I wouldn't think Google would release something so useless.

It sounds like you saved directions into My maps instead of entering just the location. If you were staying at a motel that you wanted to revisit for instance, start up my maps editor, select the layer Motels I stay at, hit the + sing in the lower left corner, select get my current location, it will then mark your current location. Name the location Motel 6 or what ever. Now if you want to go back to that location you would start google maps, select layers >> more layers >> My maps >> motels I stay at >> it would then load the map with all of the motels you have stayed at and that you have marked. Now just select one and navigate back to it.

Make sure that you are not putting in a starting and ending location into my maps. You just want the location or address of the place, not directions.So you should just have a Pin marking one spot, the location of the place you want to go to.

Hope this helps.

hughesjr

Reaction score

If you use the map editor, you have to draw the lines on the streets, not a straight line between points.

Or, you can just use Google Maps, then save directions (as in driving directions) as a "My Map". Then use layers to import "My Maps" into the Navigation App.

In the case of saving a point and then migrating back to it (the OP's question), if you are going to a place (like a restaurant) and then back to the hotel then you can just reverse the navigator's start and end points after you get to the end point. That only works if you are not going other places in the same trip.

Reaction score
it seems like it should be easier to save a location so you can navigate to it later...why cant you just save the address and from wherever you are have the phone navigate from where you are to where you wanna go? doesnt seem like rocket science to me..

Steveindajeep

Reaction score
Try Carr Matey. It seems to work well for me when Im at a big mall. This is of course straight line navigation however.

Last edited:

mntbikejack

Reaction score
it seems like it should be easier to save a location so you can navigate to it later...why cant you just save the address and from wherever you are have the phone navigate from where you are to where you wanna go? doesnt seem like rocket science to me..

I agree. Why can't you just mark a waypoint and be able to navigate back to it just like any other GPS.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

This is what I was getting at. It seams dysfunctional. Okay, I can mark a point, or save an address. But it doesn't want to tie into Maps (or Navigation)... really, one would think that would have been one of the FIRST functions they added.

The more I use the phone and Googles many 'innovations' the more it seams they are missing a lot of 'small things.' I still love the phone don't get me wrong... but they need to use a little more 'common sense' when putting things together. Just my $.02

OP
I

Irishpapa

Reaction score
Thanks eveyone

I found the app ‘Car Locator’ and it does exactly what I needed. Can save a location with a clip and notes.