1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

GPS issues

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by hett, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hett

hett New Member

I ran a search both on this forum, on CM forums and on XDA but was unable to come up with a solution, so I apologize in advance if this has already been covered.

That said, I am having some terrible GPS issues: namely, it won't lock at all. Running the app GPS Status, it isn't showing any satellites whatsoever. Maps rarely, if ever, gets a lock.

I am running winner00's latest build, but this has been an issue on the last however many builds I've run. I am using an original Droid, and also have the deprimed kernel flashes. In addition, I have the Use Wireless Signal setting turned on to assist the GPS.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: Also, I just updated my baseband to the latest C_01.43.01P provided by Peter Alfonso, and still no GPS lock, despite others reporting success with this method on other devices.
  2. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

sounds stupid but make sure gps is on. then make sure you are out in open view of the sky
  3. hett

hett New Member

Come on, now. :icon_rolleyes:
  4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Hett,

I will assume by your last reply that you have the gps toggled on:)

Seriously, GPS has not been an issue with any nightly or release candidates by and large. What I would suggest to to restore your last working rom to verify that there is not an issue with your hardware. If this works, then the likley culprit is the way you might have installed if you did not wipe. I have not done a complete wipe in a very long time, only wiping system and cache, but if you are moving from any pre-GB rom or possibly any other maker's GB, then a full wipe might be the ticket.

And I do use GPS Status and several other GPS programs with no issues.

Craig
  5. hett

hett New Member

I did did perform a full wipe (including system, data, cache, and dalvik) prior to flashing my first CM7 build (which was coming from one of Peter Alfonso's GPA builds) however I have not done a wipe going from any nightly to another. I've heard repeatedly that that is unnecessary.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Hett,

The wiping thing can be a bit confusing. What I have posted in the main GB thread is that going nightly to nightly, I wipe system and and cache, then install the nightly and reinstall gapps. This has worked well enough so far.

The problems seem to come in when folks do some level of wiping, perhaps not reinstall gapps, then toss a little Titanium backup in to boot. Or some variation thereof. This is why I suggested using your last known working backup (nandroid) to confirm that you GPS hardware has not gone bad. If it does work, and as almost no one has reported GPS issues with CM7, then that points to some installation methodology issue.

I could post some maybe's like did you restore GPS Status via Titanium and is it possible that the switch to turn on GPS is now fouled (as GPS Status does have an interface with that switch), but as your GPS is fouled, GPS does work with the rom, so any individual attempts at solution might be time better served to try a clean install, wipe everything, and let the market do its thing. IT would only take a little bit of time to backup where you are now, and just try a base CM install with gapps to confirm that the GPS is capable of working on your phone. Heck, some folks just get borked installs using RM v. pc download.

Craig
  7. hett

hett New Member

For the record, I never use Titanium Backup. I prefer to manually restore everything.

That said, alright -- I'm gonna nandroid backup my current setup, wipe EVERYTHING, and start with a fresh CM7 install and get back to you.
  8. hett

hett New Member

I wiped everything, flashed CM7, gapps, and no dice. :(

I flashed Pete's Gingerbread AOSP ROM, no dice. The GPS icon wouldn't even flash on this one, even though it was turned on.

I am very confident that this is a software issue and not my GPS hardware failing. I think it may be Gingerbread-related, as Google themselves have confirmed a GPS-related issue with Gingerbread.

Later, I am going to try flashing back to Bugless Beast 6.2.1 (Froyo) to see if it works on there, as BB was my main ROM for ages and I never had any GPS issues. If it still doesn't work, I will resign myself to a hardware failure.
Search tags for this page
cyanogenmod & gps
droid 4 cyanogenmod gps problem
droid dna gps problem cyanogenmod
fix gps lock in captivate with cyanogen

htc dna gps failure