GPS issues...blue circle 70% of the time.

kilkenny

Reaction score
Most of the time when I use the navigation or other apps that require the 'gps', it can't find me exactly. Instead I see the blue circle around my position. One time it had me about 400 miles from where I really was. Why is this? It's getting pretty frustrating to speak an address in there and then navigate to it only to find that it doesn't really know where I am. Halfway through my drive I'll hear the lady start talking.

Is there any way to tweak the gps to work better? Should I have something on that isn't?

brochaos

Reaction score
it's a known problem. restarting the phone fixes it for me.

OP
K

kilkenny

Reaction score
Fixes it for how long? Do you know if they're working on fixing it?

How do you restart your phone?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fixes it for how long? Do you know if they're working on fixing it?

How do you restart your phone?

Google navigation is a beta app. They're working on it. As for "restarting" your phone, simply turn it (all the way) off and then back on.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is this?
You might want to give search a shot next time as I know this has been discussed many times (I've posted in more than a few of the GPS issues threads).

The GPS receiver is unable to get a lock so Google Maps is using the alternate methods of determining your location which are nowhere near as accurate as GPS. I'd suggest trying these steps in order (continue if the prior step doesn't help):

1. Turn GPS off and then on.
2. Power cycle the Droid or pull the battery.
3. Reactivate via *228. Remember that GPS on the Droid is assisted. Google "assisted GPS" if you really want all the details but in a nutshell it relies on data via the carrier's network to get an initial fix. From what I've read, it seems that the Droid can't fall back to autonomous mode like some other GPS receivers.

crspang

Reaction score
I've gotten in the habit of power cycling my phone once or twice a week just for this reason. No big deal for me.

Hope it works for you.

OP
K

kilkenny

Reaction score
I did the *228 a few days ago. I just did the power cycle. The only thing I don't know how to do is manually turning the GPS off then on again.

Thanks.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I did the *228 a few days ago. I just did the power cycle. The only thing I don't know how to do is manually turning the GPS off then on again.

Thanks.
Settings > Location & security > Use GPS satellites (toggle on or off)

Even easier, install the power widget. Long press on a screen, choose Widgets, scroll down and select Power Control. Use the widget to toggle wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and brightness.

brochaos

Reaction score
toggling the gps never worked for me. i don't need to *228 or pull the battery either. just a simple long press on power button, turn off phone, turn phone back on, and good to go.