GPS issue

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Is anyone else having this problem. When I open my browser and go to google. Under the search bar it usually shows my location. Now it says "Location unavailable" when I click update beside it , it does nothing. Any ideas? Been doing this for about two weeks.

brianr0131

Reaction score
make sure your gps is turned on settings<location & Security then make sure both top boxes are checked

use wireless networks
use gps satellites

If it's not that...what browser do you use?

iPirate

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of GPS is in the Droid? I used a GPS for a project that had a 30 second cold start to fix and that seemed to be the standard when I was researching them but the Droid takes several minutes. I am wondering if this might be because of the aGPS "support". The aGPS is updating and then the GPS resets and tries to fix based on the data given so it slows the process down.... ?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having this problem. When I open my browser and go to google. Under the search bar it usually shows my location. Now it says "Location unavailable" when I click update beside it , it does nothing. Any ideas? Been doing this for about two weeks.

I never know when mine will work and when it won't. I think inside my house I have certain spots where it just won't work. Right here working at my desk it works almost all the time.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

The location you see on the Google search page is part of their new "Near Me Now" service. In my experience, it's, ahem, a little buggy. If you have the Dolphin browser, in fact, you'll notice there is no location line shown. And if you use xScope you'll also find that service is now turned off because it frequently resulted in a big ugly error window showing up for some people depending on their location. I suspect that's why the Dolphin Browser folks have not implemented it at all.

The way it's supposed to work, I believe, is to show "location unavailable" until your phone has a fix on your GPS location. However, my "location" has sometimes indicated I'm in "East Seattle," "Redmond," and every now and then in my home location in still another town that borders Redmond. (My nearest cell site is in Redmond.)

I suspect that the feature works best if you're out and about walking down a street or in a vehicle. That, after all, is what it's mainly used for.

As far as the "update" selection is concerned, I suspect it's like one of those "close door" buttons in elevators that isn't connected to anything. Once the device gets your GPS location, it will automatically update.

iPirate

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of GPS is in the Droid? I used a GPS for a project that had a 30 second cold start to fix and that seemed to be the standard when I was researching them but the Droid takes several minutes. I am wondering if this might be because of the aGPS "support". The aGPS is updating and then the GPS resets and tries to fix based on the data given so it slows the process down.... ?
I tested my theory and it is better to keep the aGPS on. What happens is if you turn it off you wont get a blue dot with a approx ring around it. The time for the GPS seems to be the same with or without aGPS, but you get the initial approx location with aGPS...

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I'm using the stock default browser. I have tried it at work, at home and on the go and it still will not show my location. I don't know. I checked the settings and everything is on GPS and wireless networks. Maybe time to leave the Droid. To many issues.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
I think I will try to get the Nexus One and then sell my Droid. I'm so ready for 2.1. the Nexus seems to have so many features that I like better than the Droid. I don't think we will get 2.1 on the Droid. Does anyone know, if I buy a Nexus One will it effect my contract? Do I have to wait till i'm due for another upgrade?