GPS is virtually useless

Dawg

Reaction score
I live in wide open south dakota and in the mornings my GPS works great but after Ive used it all day and on the way home from a trip the GPS is always searching i can go to another app and it will start again but after a minue or so its back to searching. its become useless

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Does this happen in the same area? Does a reboot help?

GPS for me has been better than Garmin.

plant

Reaction score
I've noticed sometimes when going in and out of service area the gps sometimes acts screwy. However, I have been able to find about 100 geocaches when it has been working properly.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
try restarting the gps. sometimes it has trouble, but after a good reboot or two for the gps, it seems to work well for me.

Also try rebooting the phone.

brochaos

Reaction score
you have to reboot your phone every 4-5 days for the gps to work consistently.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Get the app

GPS STATUS

Itll show how many satellites you are being tracked by and other useful GPS info

the problem could be your area not your phone.

OP
Dawg

Dawg

Reaction score
If it works going one way shouldn't it work coming back the same way. Also reboots don't help. As I said it finds me just fine it just wont stay running I'm ay a loss
Get the app

GPS STATUS

Itll show how many satellites you are being tracked by and other useful GPS info

the problem could be your area not your phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it works going one way shouldn't it work coming back the same way
Not necessarily. You'd think so but it's entirely possible for GPS to have issues getting a fix on the return trip when it had no problems on the trip out.

I always suggest the following in order:

- Cycle GPS off and then on (power widget is handy for this).
- Power cycle the Droid
- Try *228, option 1

It has been worse than my Blackberry 8310. The BB never had issues with getting a fix but it always operated in standalone mode (Droid is assisted).

i live in SD too. and have the same problem. Also most of the time I'm about 2 1/2 miles off my destination
You're not actually getting a GPS fix then.

Last edited:
OP
Dawg

Dawg

Reaction score
If it works going one way shouldn't it work coming back the same way
Not necessarily. You'd think so but it's entirely possible for GPS to have issues getting a fix on the return trip when it had no problems on the trip out.

I always suggest the following in order:

- Cycle GPS off and then on (power widget is handy for this).
- Power cycle the Droid
- Try *228, option 1

It has been worse than my Blackberry 8310. The BB never had issues with getting a fix but it always operated in standalone mode (Droid is assisted).

i live in SD too. and have the same problem. Also most of the time I'm about 2 1/2 miles off my destination
You're not actually getting a GPS fix then.
like I said earlier tried all these steps except 228 its funny i can go to face book and back to gps and it will work to get a fix and then off again think Ill just stick to a true gps unit i would hate to have to rely on this stupid phone

Davew

Reaction score
My GPS here in PA, has been a mess with the Droid for at least 3 weeks...

Even now, I rebooted the phone, fired up google maps and my location is almost 4 miles from where I really am.

This all worked 100% fine until about april 25th..
that is all the details I have to offer but for sure it is broke and not just in my area.. :icon_evil:

coolkidd

Reaction score
Funny thing.... this happened to me yesterday when going home.... My Droid's GPS just keep searching for Satellites. I did rebooted it twice (even doing the battery pull), but it just keep searching for Satellites.

Big Cam

Reaction score
I live in North Dakota and I rarely can't get a GPS signal, only on super cloudy days.

eliassami5

Reaction score

lol thats funny cuz my family and i took a trip down to SD for my brothers Marines grad and the gps acted the same way, usually at like 6:00pm. It would constantly search but after a bit of driving (.5-1mile) it would find the gps and work fine.