GPS innacurate???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by OhioSpyderman, Feb 19, 2010.

1. OhioSpyderman

OhioSpyderman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Droid Eris is showing that I am a good mile from where I really am....is there anyway to calibrate the GPS system?

Thanks!

Bob.

Forgot to mention that if I turn on Wi-Fi it corrects this problem.....

I am inside a building, but even if I step outside into a bright blue sky, still way off...

#1 OhioSpyderman, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +83
    GPS is positioned by satellites. Usually people have the issue of when they have the use wireless networks enabled, it shows them about 2 miles off. So no there is no way to calibrate it.

3. OhioSpyderman

OhioSpyderman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so I turned off wireless networks, went outside and sure enough, it properly located me....(inside it couldn't find me).

Am I to assume that this will be useless as a navigation system (does being in a car present the same issues as being in a building?)?

4. onthemark

onthemark New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a Moto Droid and my Brother has the Eris. We use them to Geocache and the Eris is off quite a bit when using the Network GPS. But if you turn on the actual onboard GPS, it becomes very accurate.

5. OhioSpyderman

OhioSpyderman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, but can you elaborate? In LOCATION, I have the Location Setting checked and the ENABLE GPS Satallites as well....

I have the USE WIRELESS NETWORKS unchecked....

Thank you for your reply!

Bob.

6. onthemark

onthemark New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ohio,

What we find is that if we need the GPS to be very accurate, we don't enable until we are outside. Then we select the "Use GPS satellites only for accuaracy.

This is the best and most accurate option. Sometimes on the Eris, we need to shut down and restart the phone and then enable. We have checked the accuracy with a Magellan unit and found it within 2 ft variance.

The time to use the Use Wireless Networks in the GPS settings is for things like Foursquare, Aloqa, Where. This setting can work indoors and give you a close ballpark and allow you to find locale restaraunts, services ect. and can help with some road nav, but it not designed to be accurate as it is depending on figuring out your location based on your relation to Cell Network Towers.

Also, in the car if you are doing turn by turn, you want the full GPS. Remember that you need a decent view of the sky to locate a minimum of 2 satelites.

Hope that helps.

#6 onthemark, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  7. OhioSpyderman

OhioSpyderman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying, but since I've had the phone (a little over a week) my weather widget has always shown the proper location, and now its showing a location about 2 miles away. I don't believe I've changed any settings (other than turning on and off the USE NETWORKS)....

Just a bit confused, thats all....

Bob.

Now, even if I enable the WIFI, it the weather widget shows me in "Washinton" when I'm really Eaton....

8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah, mine does the same thing. It's no big deal, when you use it for navigation it works great.

9. onthemark

onthemark New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ironically, I was out and about today in the car. My GPS was enabled and was using the Nav tool. I am driving along and all of th sudden, my arrow goes off the road and the app is trying to calculate a new route.

Must be an issue with Satellites cause even in google maps, I am about 2 blocks off for some reason. I shut down and reset the whole system with no luck.

Will test again in 4 hours to see if I get a better set of Sats

Search tags for this page

how to calibrate gps for geocache