GPS for DROID???

JP 5.56

Reaction score
It seems that there is an app on the market for ~$30 that stores the maps on your phone so that you don't have to use 3G to download the maps. Its called CoPilot.

Steve H

Reaction score
I'm new to DROID and have been searching hi n lo for a good GPS app...apparently GOOGLE is working on the FUTURE OF MOBILE GPS n it'll be out soon for the DROID..but for now is there a good one that's free or under 10 buxx?

Take a look at GPSTest in the market place.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think a tracking app is what the OP is asking for.

Yes, but it only gives u directions..it's not GPS,bra!
You mean turn-by-turn and voice prompts. "GPS" by itself doesn't mean navigation app, despite the way many use it. In any case, Google Maps/Nav definitely uses GPS if available and certainly has turn-by-turn and voice prompts.

Could you clarify whether you have a Droid or an Eris? If it's the latter, that explains why Google Maps can only give you directions.

As I recall Google Maps isn't true GPS is it? I thought it was still location-based. So as long as you're in service range, then you're clear. But if you wander out of service range your GPS is useless.
It will use GPS if available. The accuracy is a pretty good indicator of how it's locating you. If your location has the light blue circle around it then it's not using GPS.

Interesting. Garmin or Tom Tom needs to get on making a GPS app for Android then. I'd love to not have to buy a standalone.
Be careful what you wish for. The Garmin app for BB doesn't locally store maps either. I'm suspecting that you specifically want locally stored maps like CoPilot.

kheopsb

Reaction score
seems like my biggest issue hasn't been finding a GPS app, but rather having my GPS lock in with satellites quickly enough. I've arrived at my destination at times before I get a GPS read on my position...am I the only one noticing this?

Chilazr

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it locking on to me. I was in a parking garage 2 floors from the top and it still locked on relatively quickly. And it picks me up when I'm in buildings just fine, and of course it's instantaneous when I step outside. I haven't tried it downtown yet, though.