GPS for DROID???

WhiteDynomite

Reaction score
I'm new to DROID and have been searching hi n lo for a good GPS app...apparently GOOGLE is working on the FUTURE OF MOBILE GPS n it'll be out soon for the DROID..but for now is there a good one that's free or under 10 buxx?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
There is one installed called Google Maps....

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
google maps, free... its good enough, little rough, but works for me every time so far. So can I have your 10$ now?

Kobra

Reaction score
I'm new to DROID and have been searching hi n lo for a good GPS app...apparently GOOGLE is working on the FUTURE OF MOBILE GPS n it'll be out soon for the DROID..but for now is there a good one that's free or under 10 buxx?
Have you not even tried the driving directions navigation in Goggle Maps? Confusing, as it shows you have a Eris but you don't seem to know about Google Maps features at all. Please explain if that isn't what you are asking.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really now... Maps and Nav.

Heck I want an aircraft/ aviation layer to maps, so I can ditch my 396, just kidding ... :icon_ devil:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you not even tried the driving directions navigation in Goggle Maps? Confusing, as it shows you have a Eris but you don't seem to know about Google Maps features at all. Please explain if that isn't what you are asking.

Was the eris updated to use google nav? Or is it still being released with it's newest update soon.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uh, wrong. It shows your location with GPS, and navigation gives you directions...

JP 5.56

Reaction score
What exactly do you want to do with the GPS? That might help determine what app is best for you.

Chilazr

Reaction score
As I recall Google Maps isn't true GPS is it? I thought it was still location-based. So as long as you're in service range, then you're clear. But if you wander out of service range your GPS is useless.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
As I recall Google Maps isn't true GPS is it? I thought it was still location-based. So as long as you're in service range, then you're clear. But if you wander out of service range your GPS is useless.

Google maps uses the cell network to download the map image of where the GPS tells it you are.

If there were a GPS app that did not use Google Maps (IE: had its own loaded basemaps on your SD card, or just displayed your lat/lon with a compass) then the connectivity to the cell network should not matter.

Edit to add: Put droid in plane mode (shuts off cell service). I then turned on GPS status which does not use Google Maps at all. It still showed my correct lat/lon and adjusted bearing as I turned in different directions. That confirms that GPS works w/o cell coverage.

Edit again: GPS Status does have a link to "Show on Map" however it is disabled when in plane mode.

Chilazr

Reaction score
Interesting. Garmin or Tom Tom needs to get on making a GPS app for Android then. I'd love to not have to buy a standalone.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Interesting. Garmin or Tom Tom needs to get on making a GPS app for Android then. I'd love to not have to buy a standalone.
It could be relatively simple. Someone with enough time on their hands could probably take google maps and turn it into a basemap that could be stored on the SD card. Just like a basemap is stored on a regular GPSr.