GPS Bug with factory browser

K

killabyte

I couldn't figure out why my phone kept eating my battery in a matter of hours. I was about to go exchange it for another when I figured out what was going on. When you open the factory browser with the default Google homepage it fires up your GPS to put your location up. I'm guilty of opening the browser, doing what i need, then telling it to close which it never does. Instead it re-opens the browser and goes back to your home page which for me was the default Google page. I would hit that back soft key quickly hoping to stop it from loading the page and thus, in my mind at least, closing the browser.

What happens though is the browser keeps the GPS turned on attempting to find your location. If you re-open the browser it will go ahead and locate you and turn off the GPS but if you hit that back key before it locates you the GPS keeps trying to locate you until you open the browser back up allowing it to finish the task or until it kills the battery, whichever comes first.

Silver Member
Reaction score
the best way to find out what is eating your battery is to go home - menu - settings - about phone - battery use and observe what is in your top spots.

if gps is listed high, then it was what was draining your battery. i have seen where the email client drains your battery because it will get trapped in an ednless loop.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Display should typically be the biggest consumer of battery life.
If you see 'Android OS' as the top consumer... chances are something has gotten stuck in a loop and this will eat your battery in no time. I've had it happen on my device before. Shutting down the app causing it can help,.... or if you don't know what's causing it, a simple reset works just fine too.

OP
K

killabyte

i already know what was killing the battery, thats why i posted. i've not rooted the phone and all settings are at the factory presets. try it and see.

hopefully this will help someone in the future. that was my reason for posting.