GPS apps for the hunters out there? halp!

Bananachaos7

Reaction score
Alright let me explain.

I am a hunter, and I like to use GPS while I hunt. I want to be able to set waypoints to go to, save waypoints, use the phone as a compass, get a barring to follow, etc etc.

Are there any apps that do this? Does the normal google maps have this kind of feature, and I am just too much of a newb to figure it out?

Thanks for any help.:icon_ banana:

GreenJeans

Reaction score
google maps is sadly lack-luster when it comes to more full-featered navigating. A huge drawback is that you need a data connection in order to see a map...what if you're out hunting outside of cell service?

Check out AndNav2. It's a maps replacement program, with quite a few more features than GMaps. You can even create custom map tile packs to save to your sdcard, for data-less gps navigating. It also has good waypoint managing and routing.

OP
B

Bananachaos7

Reaction score
Thanks for that. It looks like its not supported on the droid?

(response is for the first poster's suggestion.)

OP
B

Bananachaos7

Reaction score
google maps is sadly lack-luster when it comes to more full-featered navigating. A huge drawback is that you need a data connection in order to see a map...what if you're out hunting outside of cell service?

Check out AndNav2. It's a maps replacement program, with quite a few more features than GMaps. You can even create custom map tile packs to save to your sdcard, for data-less gps navigating. It also has good waypoint managing and routing.

So "ANDNAV2" keeps the maps on you phone so you do not need cell coverage? Where I hunt there is no cell coverage, so I need a stand alone app that just needs the GPS function.

GreenJeans

Reaction score
Yah, andnav2 will cache all the maps you look at. Better, you can use the atlasbuddy tool to create map packs for your sd card. Andnav2 works great for me, might have to peruse their forums for the latest version (not on mareket).

Also, if you get into more serious cartography, check out the vespucci app.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I have RMAPS. I downloaded free topo maps to my SD Card and they work perfectly with RMaps. It allows you to set POIs and has auto-follow. Seems like a perfect solution for hunters. Great app, and its free.

The also free app to create the topo maps is Trekbuddy Atlas Creator. It runs on your computer and allows you to download maps for your area. Choose Terra Server while in Trekbuddy to get the topo maps. It then allows you to convert it to a format which rmaps can read.

Great for hikers and hunters alike imo, and no I am not connected to the producers of these apps.

Last edited:

tenzip

Reaction score
I have to say, it seems to me that a stand-alone GPS would be a better bet for hunting. Even a basic one will let you download maps, and be more hunt friendly. If you're in the back country, charging is going to be an issue, whereas a stand-alone GPS will use AA batteries. Also, I wouldn't want to take my phone with me hunting, I'd manage to drop it and the @#$%ing horse would step on it, or I'd slide off a rock and land on it myself, and bye-bye screen.