Gps app

carmanhere

Reaction score
I have the Motorola droid. I have looked and looked and looked some more at different sites plus here in the Forum and I can not find a good to great GPS app. One that will give me directions from my location to where I need to go. It may seem like a dumb question but I am new to this toy. I had to call verizon because my screens changed and I wanted to go back to the app that I had, only to find out that Verizon had updated my phone to 2.2 and that was the home screen for my new app. Some times I feel so dumb trying to use this phone, especially for everything it can do. Now I just need to learn how to do them, each app that is and I'll be set.
In any case, does some know of a great GPS App.
Thanks

idahojoe

Reaction score
I am brand new to the Droid world - got a Droid 2 yesterday after using a BlackBerry Curve for the last 2+ years. So, I am a big time newbie.

I travel a fair amount and so I'm also looking for a good GPS app - and if anyone knows of a good GPS app that includes voice navigation (will keep me from needing to buy a separate GPS).

Any assistance/direction would be appreciated.

OP
C

carmanhere

Reaction score
Sorry but nothing under my settings>apps says that I have either Google Maps and Google Navigation. Now what do I do and where do I find them?
Thanks for your quick response

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Maps is in the Market, but I agree, it should come preinstalled as should navigation, the navigation icon is a blue arrow icon and should be visible in your app drawer, it is a system app therefore it will not show up in settings/applications unless you are looking in settings/applications/manage applications/all

OP
C

carmanhere

Reaction score
I found it. The arrow. Open it and it has "Speak type contacts"etc.
Thanks
Is this the best? Any others?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
That along with Google Maps is the best

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this the best?
Best is always highly subjective. Define what you mean by "best". Many would say it's the best free option. I suggest trying it for yourself to find out.

If you want locally stored maps (so you don't need data coverage), check out CoPilot Live (it's not free).

wdprice3

Reaction score
yeh, google maps & nav come preinstalled (or did so on my DX)... and I believe the native nav app is google maps... just another way to get there with slight changes in functions/layout.

no need to get any other app for nav.

idahojoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I used the Nav app today and it worked flawlessly!!