Gps app

marioval

Reaction score
If you have a limited data plan are you are using your phone as a GPS navigator, then G Maps may not be the best solution for you. You need an onboard Nav app that stores all the maps and POI's on your phone and uses very little if any data. There is a free app called NavFreeUSA that uses OSM maps (free open source community maps. Like Wikipedia but with maps) Its a decent app but not great. One time it told me to go straight where there was a river and I know for a fact there was never a bridge there! I myself bought Sygic ($40 USD) and use it very often and love it! Both of these allow you to download your maps from home on wifi then use them to navigate with no data use. Another benefit of these onboard apps is they will continue to work even if you are in an area with no cell coverage. For my wife's iphone we got Igo Primo for $25 USD and thats a great one too.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
But even you start talking about prices like that, you can get a basic TomTom or Garmin for like $60, so it's really how you want to approach the situation..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HowardZ

Reaction score
Well, if someone has a Garmin nuvi that broke, and has an older phone laying around unused, and likes the GPS to be a separate device....then $40 for the Garmin Android app might be nice.

I don't know if the app has all the features of a real nuvi.

tc1

Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that Garmin has a $40 app that runs like a Garmin nuvi GPS. if I recall correctly is goes under the trade name if navigon.

I do not know how well it works.

Navigon actually works really well, although for some reason I have to have a data connection when the app 1st starts up.

Maybe it's phoning home for piracy reasons, but it defeats the whole point of being able to have maps on board.

Google needs to add an actual compass and way points.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
$40 is less than $60. That's how I approached it.

Yes, but maybe the extra 20 bucks is so you don't have to be using your phone. I use my phone to stream music, so that and the GPS would be difficult to use together, same kind of thing with making phone calls. I'd rather have a dedicated device.

I also look at it like the GPS only has one job to do, so it's highly unlikely to freeze up or stop working. Reliability is higher than your phone running 15 things at once. But again, my own preference

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

marioval

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya. I use it to stream music and nav at the same time and find it very easy on my windshield mount. Holding down the home button makes it easy to switch tasks, especially on ICS. I do not take calls or texts in the car even if the phone is doing nothing so thats not an issue for me.

gary81

Reaction score
I just bought the TomTOM app for my Incredible 2 it is a "real" 1 thing it does that google doesm't is that they load the maps on your phone so that if you don't have a good cell signal you can still use your GPS. Must have in my opinion.

tc1

Reaction score
I just bought the TomTOM app for my Incredible 2 it is a "real" 1 thing it does that google doesm't is that they load the maps on your phone so that if you don't have a good cell signal you can still use your GPS. Must have in my opinion.

Where is the tomtom app? I didn't see it in the Google play store.

tc1

Reaction score
Yeah Google maps can cache for offline use now but have you tried it?

You have to initially have a data connection in order to get navigation, if you lose data it will continue to work.

But that defeats the purpose if you happen to be way out in the middle of nowhere and for some reason can't get a data signal.

And if you are doing any hiking or back packing in that sense, you are going to want to keep your phones radios off anyway to conserve battery.

Navigon works extremely well though, back country pro is a hiking app that is probably more what he's looking for.

TWC42

Reaction score
Another Maps app that I just started to try out is Waze. In addition to planning your route, it gives a heads up to speed cameras, red light cameras, traffic jams, police activity, etc., based on user input. First thing I discovered is that it sucks up data. It sometimes generates funky routes, but is supposed to learn when you ignore its directions and go a different way. Haven't decided if it's a keeper yet, but the speed and red light camera warnings sure are nice. And it's FREE!
UPDATE: Too many problems and inconsistencies with WAZE. Uninstalled the app. Sucked up 10 MB of data on a 1.5 hour trip. Too much for daily use. Some warnings of speed traps that weren't there, no warning of speed cameras that had been in place for over two months. Messed up an incoming phone call. Froze up twice on one trip. A distraction at times with all the other Wazer locations popping up. If it's not dependable and you depend on it for speed trap information, you will, sooner or later, get nailed.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Reaction score
Yeah I have one friend on an older android device and he swears by waze. He likes the user input updates for traffic. I tried it but didn't care for it as much as he did. Actually for things like traffic updates and stuff (area dependent) I've been hard pressed to find anything that worked better than VZNav. I used it before I got my Inc. Had a lot of nice features then just before I switched they started putting ads everywhere, or putting sponsored destinations at the tops of search lists. Now had it been a free app I would have lived with it but costing as much as an additional line each month I told them to stuff it. As for other gps uses besides on the road, I use C:Geo for geocaching. It will also give you your location is d:m:s. It will do other gps stuff but is ultimately designed as a geocaching tool. And speaking of Google's map caching passing through Indy I kept loosing signal and nav continued to work until I wanted to find a new destination then I was hard pressed to change anything because as a previous poster stated maps wants to see that connection before letting you get into anything. I played around with saving a map for off-line use, but could never find it again.