gps and my battery

lle295

Reaction score
It seems as whenever I watch a moto droid video they have their gps on. May I ask why people have their gps on at all times and doesn't having gps on at all times kill your battery drastically?

r-dubya

Reaction score
it does effect your battery life, but if in standby, it is not substantial. While running a battery extensive app such as nav, then yes you will notice a SIGNIFICANT decrease in batt life. Either way, battery life on the droid isn't one of its strongest points. Might i suggest an extended battery, or carrying around an extra one?

CBLJazz

Reaction score
Whenever i'm navigating leave the droid plugged in.
Charging during gnav solves the problem.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Yeah, I leave mine on all the time. As mentioned, there's no significant decrease in battery life unless the GPS is actively being used by the phone.

On a side note: I have had some apps (weather widgets mainly) that hav sucked down the battery by constantly using GPS to try to find my location when satelletes weren't available.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It seems as whenever I watch a moto droid video they have their gps on. May I ask why people have their gps on at all times and doesn't having gps on at all times kill your battery drastically?
You mean the GPS icon is in the notification bar on the videos? Can't answer that. I'm guessing that they either have an app running that uses GPS or an app that isn't properly "releasing" the GPS. Yes, it will quickly drain the battery if it is actively used (icon in notification bar). You'd really have to ask the person posting the video for details.