GPS and Bluetooth in airplane mode (cell radio off)

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Bert Randolph, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Bert Randolph

Bert Randolph New Member

First of all, thanks for the great ROM, Chevy! I really like it!

I have a question/feature suggestion: Is it possible to switch off the cell radio (for example by using the airplane mode) while still retaining Bluetooth and GPS functionality?

The reason I am asking: I use the Droid in europe, where there is no Verizon network available. I would like to use my Bluetooth headset - but for that I have to disable airplane mode. This results in the Droid constantly searching for a link, which drains the battery really fast.

With Wi-Fi it is no problem to switch back on after initiating airplane mode. GPS also does not work when activated while in airplane mode. If GPS is already running when turning on airplane mode it keeps working.

To sum up: Is it possible to create an option to turn on Bluetooth and/or GPS while in airplane mode? Even better would be an option to just turn off the cell radio for good without touching any of the other conncetions.
    This would really make my life with the Droid a lot easier :)

Thanks,

Bert.
  2. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

In order for your phone to get a GPS signal it needs to be off airplane because of the fact that GPS uses the cell signal. I think it works the same way for bluetooth as well but I am not sure cause bluetooth is just a phone mode that shouldn't really use a cell signal but I could be wrong.
  3. joebetsill

joebetsill New Member

Ask and ye shall receive.

Open your dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#* (4636 = info, btw) this will open at test menu. Navigate to "phone info", scroll down to "turn radio off" and presto, you have gps, wifi and bluetooth, but no data, sms, or voice. I would be careful messing with other settings in this menu, by the way.

I don't know if it lasts through a boot but that should be easy to figure out.

Enjoy!
  4. atthehop

atthehop New Member

Will this allow you to use a GPS mapping program that has maps loaded on the SD card?
  5. joebetsill

joebetsill New Member

I believe so, as long as the maps are already downloaded. (In much the same way that the Google Navigation app only downloads data when you make the driving directions (or recalculate), but not during the trip.

It would be easy enough to test. What app allows you to download maps for offline use? That would be a nice app to have.
  6. trowa

trowa New Member

Sygic GPS is a working GPS that you download the maps to your SD card. It works just like having a tom tom. You can drive around with the GPS showing you a 3d map unlike google maps navigation where you have to have a destination set for this to work.

I might try this later tonight and see if it works.
  7. Bert Randolph

Bert Randolph New Member

Thanks for that suggestion, it works beautifully for bluetooth! GPS however is not affected.

Perforuming the described procedure puts the phone into airplane mode, but bluetooth is not greyed out anymore. In order to get a GPS lock I still have to turn airplane mode off again. Turning it back on after the GPS lock will grey out the bluetooth option and I have to do the "turn radio off" - trick again.

All in all, not perfect, but much better. It would be nice if i could just use a switch to turn the radio off instead of having to enter the secret menu.
    maybe thats possible to add? Chevy? ;)
  8. DanielFFF

DanielFFF New Member

Joe,

Many thanks for this useful information! I recently took a flight to another state and was disgusted when I couldn't use my new Bluetooth headphones for music while flying. So while away I searched the www and found this thread. Works beautifully on my Samsung phone - I can manually turn off WiFi, turn on Bluetooth and turn off the phone radio (using your trick) and then enjoy some music on the plane.

I tried setting up a 'Contact' with this code sequence, to simplify entering it, but that didn't work - it just went into dialling mode and never did anything more. Then I tried xShortcut's 'capture' mode and was able to create a one-touch shortcut on a home page - goes straight into the 'Testing' menu!

Incidentally, this mode lasted through my first boot (phone off while boarding/takeoff, on when cruising), but strangely didn't last through the second boot (off while landing, on in terminal). Actually that behaviour is ideal, as I don't have to go through this process a second time once off the flight!
  9. a8ksh4

a8ksh4 New Member

Great find, guys. I'm sitting at the airport now and was unhappy to find that I couldn't use my bluetooth headphones when in airplane mode.

There's an app you can grab, called "test menu" that lets you get to the menu w/o dialing the number.
  10. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Get a free app called Network. Open it and scroll down to "turn off radio". It turns off the phone call and data radios only, everything else remains as normal.
    You'll have to do that each time you reboot the phone but it's quick and painless.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
Search tags for this page
airplane mode enable bluetooth android

airplane mode with bluetooth

airplane mode with bluetooth android
android enable bluetooth in offline mode
android how to enable bluetooth in offline mode
apps for droid dna to use bluetooth when in airplan mode

bluetooth in airplane mode

bluetooth in airplane mode android