GPS Altitude (request for help)

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Coffee Monkey, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Coffee Monkey

Coffee Monkey New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've found a software bug in the Droid Charge related to GPS altitude and need some volunteers to help verify the bug. I've tried three different apps that all report the same wrong altitude. The altitude is off by a factor of ten! I live at 5600 feet and the DC reports roughly 560 feet. When I drive up to 6000 feet the DC says 600 feet. One of the app developers was kind enough to send me a custom version of his app (AndroSensor) that multiplied the altitude by 10 and that made it display the correct altitude. Has anyone else noticed the same problem? The error doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of navigation or google maps so unless you specifically look at the altitude parameter you may not know there is a problem.

The three apps I've tried are: GPS Test, AndroSensor, and GPS Essentials. All are free. If any DC owners are game, please download one of these apps, or any other app that reports GPS altitude, and relate your results. I'm especially interested in hearing from owners who live at an elevation of three hundred feet (one hundred meters) or higher since if you live near sea level the error is smaller and may be within the margin of GPS accuracy.

Useful information to include in your results are: actual altitude, reported altitude, hardware version, firmware version, and build number. The last three are found in Settings...About Phone.

If we can verify other Droid Charges have the same problem as mine, hopefully we can get Samsung to fix it in a future update.

Thanks all.

2. mgasman

mgasman New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have discovered a bug it seems. I ran this morning at 600-700 ft and Google MyTracks says it was at 90-98 ft. This is not as much as your 10X error, but an obvious problem. I also was running Adidas micoach and when the track was loaded onto the online site for that (which processes the workout for feedback) the altitude seemed accurate.

I was running both apps to try and figure out why the accuracy of the Charges GPS trace is less precise as I run through my neighborhood. If I go around a block or down a cul de sac it does not follow the course and cuts off a lot of my hard run miles, which affects the pace and feedback this coaching program provides. MOTODroid phones were very accurate with their traces.

I will assume that the correct elevation data from the online source is because it pulls the elevation from established terrain data given the GPS coordinates. GPS altitude is not as accurate at the position fixing capability.

SO SAMSUNG needs to fix a Charge GPS bug - and hopefully make it more accurate/precise at the same time.

Bluetooth relability needs some work too. Quite frustrating.

How is this remedied......?

3. byteryder

byteryder New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem here. Altitude reads 0. has never changed off 0

4. skifari

skifari New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have had a problem with the gps displaying the wrong altitude by a factor of 10. I've tried a few different apps,i.e my tracks, jog tracker etc to track my mountain bike rides but each app doesn't calculate the elevation correctly. Yesterday I rode from about 6900ft to 8500ft which my tracks calculated the elevation of 690ft to 850ft.

coffee monkey-have you had any luck getting the gps calibrated correctly?

my current set up is:
    hardware version: i510.06
    firmware version: 2.2.1
    build number: sch-i510.ee4

5. byteryder

byteryder New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Ski...

Altitude still at 0. Did read a fix for Compass, it works. Hold your DC vertically, make "figure 8" motion in the vertical plane 4-5 times. Check the Compass, it should be starting to correct itself. If it isn't just right, repeat above.

6. bkedp

bkedp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    YES!!! I found this thread while searching for an answer to my altitude problem with my new Droid Charge. This past weekend I rode my mountain bike near Sun Valley Idaho, I reached a max elevation of 8770'ish feet and my "My Tracks" app indicated max elevation as 877ft max and minimum elevation of 679ft. The trail head for our ride was roughly 6790ft. I never considered the phone being off by a factor of 10, but that is exactly the amount my phone is off.

At least at this point it's refreshing to know that the problem is not something that I have caused with the phone, but now I'm left with finding a fix. Could you explain your fix with the app? Is it something that needs to run in the background?

Thanks!!! dancedroid

edit:

hardware version - i510.06

firmware version - 2.2.1

build - SCH-I510.EE4

7. byteryder

byteryder New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its and inherent problem with the compass . My original Motorola Droid had the same problem. every so often I'd have to reset the compass. However, the Altitude function worked properly on the original Motorola droid. It is not working at all on the new Samsung Charge.

8. EmanP223

EmanP223 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The 'compass' app works fine on a few other phones but doesn't seem to work with the Charge. I verified it against a Droid X and Incredible 2 and it worked fine. My Charge doesn't work no matter how many times I recalibrate it. It's got North pointed all over the place.

9. bkedp

bkedp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So how do we as a collective voice go about calling for a fix from Samsung?

10. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The compass works fine for me. Maybe this phone is more sensitive to stray magnetic fields than others, which could cause the problem for some people.

11. rsparkyc

rsparkyc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having similar problems with my Droid Charge as well. The "GPS Status" app usually shows my altitude at 0, but sometimes fluctuates between -1 and 1. Another app I tried (GPS Test), shows an altitude, but it's off by about a factor of 4-5 (for example, I live at around 800'-900', but it shows me closer to 190'). It does fluctuate more with changes in altitude, but it's still not right. A few notes: currently this phone is not activated so it's not using any aGPS data, I believe someone said (either in this thread or another thread), that sometimes the altitude will be picked up from the cell towers. Since I'm not connecting to any towers, all the data I'm seeing is coming from the GPS. I've done side-by-side comparisons with my Incredible, and the Incredible always seems to be spot on. Hopefully Samsung/Verizon will provide an update to fix this.

12. rsparkyc

rsparkyc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. dadwynd

dadwynd New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With androsensor I get 791ft.....with accuracy of 45ft.
    We live at 8040 ft....

Does that help?

14. rsparkyc

rsparkyc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  15. Baileyjd21

Baileyjd21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My fellow Droidians, I am having some issues with my Verizon Samsung Charge. I love this phone with the AMOLID screen and such, but my GPS seems to have stopped working. I have not installed any additional apps since it last worked, I am not sure if there were any updates since it last worked. I use my GPS on a daily basis to track all my Running activities VIA Runkeeper, w/o the GPS I am manually inputting the data (it isn't that bad), I should not have to do this...

System:
    Firmware: 2.2.1
    Baseband Version: i510.06 V.EE4
    SCH-I510.EE1
    Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9
    se.infra@SEI-07 #1

Thanks in advance guys.

Search tags for this page
altitude on droid razr is wrong
does sg3 have gps coordinates and altitude

gps elevation problem

gps essentials altitude