GPA13 to Stock Bricked phone

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by bejahu, Mar 23, 2011.

1. bejahu

bejahu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the general Droid tech issues forum.

I was running Pete's first release of Gingerbread with his 1.25ghz kernal. I was trying to revert to stock so I went into ROM Manager and downloaded the stock image at the top of the list. It was something 2.2, it's whatever is there right now.

I went into recovery mode and tried to install it but it wouldn't work... so I just renamed the stock image to update.zip, and went back and did it that way. Now, I must have done something wrong, or maybe I wasn't supposed to do that because my phone is a brick now.

I can't boot up into recovery mode to recover my backup, and it won't boot up. It gets to the "droid eye" and stays there, and eventually will start over with the boot process until it gets to the eye and so on. When I go to recovery it goes to the screen with the triangle exclamation point next to the generic droid phone.

The one thing I CAN do is get into the Bootloader.

Can someone tell me how I can recover my backup, and get back to unrooted stock? Or should I just throw it against the wall?

Please and thank you!

2. nornevrder

nornevrder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What recovery are u using?

3. TMYINC

TMYINC Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Seems like you lost your recovery image. Did you wipe before flashing the unrooted stock rom? If you can get into your bootloader then you might be able to sbf a recovery back on. Search on here for unrooting with a sbf. It should give you the download links for the sbf and for rsd lite. That's about all I can help with. Try posting in the rescue squad too. If you can get to the Droid eye you aren't bricked so you can be relieved about that.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. bejahu

bejahu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Clockwork Recovery. I do Nandroid backups with it. Is that right?

I did not wipe, I didn't think it was necessary. I can get into bootloader, so I will try that.

6. bejahu

bejahu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. TMYINC

TMYINC Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah Im thinking you should have wiped, especially coming from a GB roms. In that link that poontab gave you is an sbf file for clockwork recovery too, but you can restore clockwork backups from RZ recovery too. Once you sbf a recovery back you can restore one of your backups then try going back to stock after that. Im thinking (and could be wrong) that when you flash a stock file like the one you did, it flashes the stock recovery that was on the phone before you rooted. If you did not wipe before trying to go back to stock it may have not flashed that recovery correctly which left you with no recovery at all. Just my opinion, but there are people on here that are way more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff that could confirm or deny that for you. Plus trying to go from rooted GB back to stock froyo without wiping could have upset your phone a bit. I hope it all works out and I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

8. nerdslogic

nerdslogic Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    yeah I have heard a few stories about difficulties when going from GB to Froyo with no wipe....

9. bejahu

bejahu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I realized I was using SPRecovery. I really like RZR much better. It lets me wipe the battery info too, which I couldn't seem to do in SPR.

This all worked. I'm going to try this again, and wipe data/cache before I do it. Luckily if I run into the same problem I can fix it pretty smoothly.

I was having trouble getting it to flash over on my laptop with Windows 7 last night, then my phone battery died so I decided to wait until morning and I did it just now on my XP desktop and it took 1 minute. I've heard XP is the best OS to use for RSD, but I hadn't experienced problems until last night.

Thank you for the help guys!

10. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Always wipe everything when flashing new ROMs!

Not wiping is the number one cause of any problem/bug.

Nice thing about the OG droids though, they're un brickable. other phones aren't. As a matter of fact I think the droid 1 is the only un bricable smart phone out there.

Glad you got fixed up, and learned a few things OP.

Cheers

Sent from my Droid

11. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Off-topic question: what makes the Droid 1 nearly or essentially un-brickable? I'm curious. Is it because we have access to RSDLite and the ability to flash .sbf files to resurrect a dead phone?

Brandon

12. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The unlocked bootloader, since code doesn't have to be signed you don't need specialized recoveries or sbfs.

Sent from my Droid

13. mr_silent

mr_silent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the stock.zip came with stock recovery. When you get a custom recovery back, try flashing one of the stock zips from Petes blogger site.
    I know the panic your in all too well, but that's what give us the experience to move away from. Best of luck to ya...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk