GPA broke my LEDs?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by AceDROID, Apr 26, 2011.

1. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

Okay, here's a little background information.

I started on Bugless, would bounce from that to Simply Stunning. Decided to go to GPA14, did a complete wipe of data and cache (both wiped 3 times).

Now, my LEDs for notifications won't work. They were working perfectly fine before going to GPA.

So, I went and restored my nandroid from before flashing GPA.. and the LEDs STILL don't work, when they were working perfectly fine when I made the backup I reflashed!

I'm very annoyed right now, and can't figure this out. I'm back on GPA14, and the only issue I'm having is with the LEDs not even lighting up for anything. Text, email, missed calls, nothing. I did have LEDs hack installed prior to this, but it was only set to shut the LEDs off (including soft keys, which are working btw) when the phone was in the dock. Any ideas or suggestions?

I have tried reinstalling roms, wiping data and cache before reinstalling, before restoring nandroid backups..

I know that the screen has to be off for it to turn on, and I would text myself from AIM with the screen off and still not get anything. I really don't think it's a physical issue with my phone, as they worked before the flashing of GPA14..

Hopefully someone can help me! =(
  2. dt_

dt_ New Member

Have you tried "fixing permissions" in ROM Manager?
    I have no idea if that will help or not but it just seems like one more thing to try. :/
  3. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

honestly didn't think of that.. maybe thats why FB keeps forceclosing on me too! haha. I bought Rom Manager but hardly use it. Let's see if it helps.
  4. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

nope, no dice. didn't even fix FB forceclosing. haha.

Anyways, it was a good idea, it just didn't do what I was hoping. =\
  5. hyperdude

hyperdude New Member

The same happened to me the first time I went through the GPA series. Had to use an extra LED control app to get notifications to work right.

They've always worked for me on GB roms ever since I reset back to Froyo (sbf factory-reset, that is) and made my way back to GPA.

I remember reading somewhere that the problem might be because Gingerbread's files dealing with LED controls are in a different location in the system folder, and so if the install doesn't work perfectly there's problems.

One thing you could try is reinstalling the ROM after wiping boot and system as well, multiple times. In fact, I've had definite better performance on any ROM once I started doing that. Sometimes the install leaves old system files on the phone, which can mess it up.
  6. GregNY

GregNY New Member

I'd have to agree with hyperdude on his recommendation. I lost LED notifications about a month ago and tried everything to restore (fix perm, secondary apps, wiping cache/data, reinstalling rom, restoring old rom, etc.). I just have this funny feeling that flashing numerous different versions of Petes ROMs over the months has had to have somewhat loaded the boot/system partitions with junk files and that the problem lies there...

Is there anything NOT beneficial to wiping system/boot files in addition to data/cache and then installing gpa14/15???
  7. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

I lost led notifications with the gpa builds also. I finally did full formats of boot, system, data, cache, and dalvik and nandroid restored back to my PE4.2 froyo rom. All notifications are back. At one point I tried my nandroid of bb0.6.2.1 and notifications worked again also. I hope Pete can get gpa stable and do his bb customization magic and bring back all the good stuff.
  8. dro855

dro855 New Member

I'm having the same issue, how do you wipe the boot and system files?
  9. hyperdude

hyperdude New Member

If you're using ClockworkMod Recovery (or RaidZero recovery), as opposed to SPR, go to Partitions and select format boot and format system. You can't do it from SPRecovery. (If you're using SPR, you can flash CWM from Rom Manager)
  10. dro855

dro855 New Member

Ok, I thought that was the method. I'll probably do that when GPA15 becomes stable. Thanks
  11. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

So, I tried the whole wiping boot in the partitions menu, and data and cache, but LEDs are still gone. This is highly aggravating =(
  12. hyperdude

hyperdude New Member

Wipe data, cache, system and boot several times a piece, and maybe flash the ROM a couple times. I'm sure they do work, the install just needs to go well enough :)

If all else fails, sbf back to Froyo, re-root and move on back up to GB. That fixed practically all my problems with any ROM I've used (probably because it cleared ANYTHING that may have caused issues before).
  13. Anatrok

Anatrok New Member

Pete did a great job with a root guide, this will help you kill two birds with one stone, since it it's flashing a pre rooted stock .sbf file.

Root - Droid Wiki
  14. dro855

dro855 New Member

I decided to SBF back to the stock ROM. Thing runs like a charm. I'll root and then move back to GPA15 when its stable. Hell, I might just stick with a rooted stock ROM, because it runs so well. LOL
  15. AceDROID

AceDROID Member

So, after much time and effort (and slight heart attacks) After SBFing back to 2.1 stock unrooted and getting the droid to load, my LED's were still non functioning. So, I regained root and restored my backup from prior to SBFing.. god damn was that a pain in the ass, only to find out my droid's LEDs have died. Maybe from the abuse it has received for the passed year and a half, who knows. I love my droid, but it may soon be time to upgrade. Gonna miss my keyboard though! =(