Governors and I/O Schedulers

Papa_T

Reaction score
I have read a little about these two and kinda understand what they are for. My question is, which is the best combination that will give me performance and good battery life? Has anyone tested some combinations to see what that would be? If so, I would love to get a recommendation to start of with. I flashed ARTIC HD and found those options but just not sure where to start.

Suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Papa_T

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
I decided to run a test over a few days to see how things would look using different Governors and I/O Schedulers. I tried to keep the usage about the same each day as well as the settings (data, wi-fi, sync, etc.). Not everyone would get the same results due to different variables, but I thought this would be a good start for someone who wanted to try it out.

I read as much as I could find on the I/O schedulers and decided to start out using noop. Wasn't sure what governor to use, so I just picked one that looked good based on what it is suppose to do. Here are my results over a four day period (and I do plan on continuing with different combinations).

Day 1: InteractiveX governor over a 15 hour period with light to moderate useage. Averaged 3.16% drainage per hour.
Day 2: Hotplug governor over a 17 hour period with light to moderate useage. Averaged 2.97% drainage per hour.
Day 3: HotplugX governor over a 13 hour period with light to moderate useage. Avered 3.43% drainage per hour.
Day 4: Hotplug governor over a 11 hours period with light useage and one 30 minute heavy use. Averaged 7.71% drainage per hour. (NOTE: I put this one in but it should not be considered in the comparison as I work in an office building that for some reason will absolutely drain a battery right before your eyes no matter what the settings.)

These are just my test results and your's may vary, but again, thought a good place to start if you are curious about the combinations. I will continue my test over the next few days and post those results later.

OP
Papa_T

Papa_T

Reaction score
After several more days and trying different combinations, I found that HotplugX worked best for me. As for the I/O Scheduler, Noop and SIO both worked equally well. Think I'm going to stick with the HotplugX and Noop for a while and see how it works over an extended period of time.