Gotta stick with stock

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by spillner, Apr 24, 2010.

1. spillner

spillner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've been playing around with all the different home apps and I have to say nothing works better than the stock home app. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra functions I get with things like home++ and Helix Launchers but they FC way too much and cause too much lag. Not sure if anyone else has come to the same conclusion or if my Droid is just defective.

2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You running Helix on a rooted phone? I have had Helix for the past forever and it only FC on boot up - in which I just hit 'wait' - Then its fast and flawless.

(I am on UD10 overclocked to 1000)

3. spillner

spillner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    No I'm completely stock, tried OC to 900mhz and my phone actually ran slower. That was months ago and I'm sure their are better programs out their now. I'm gonna probably root again in the future, right now I'm fine with just stock.

4. texasPI

texasPI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running Helix on a stock build for a couple of weeks and have not had any FC issues. I love it.

5. Rollingbones

Rollingbones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had about 3-4 FC's using helix over the past 2 weeks, but then the same thing was happening with Home ++. I just wait a few seconds and it kicks back on. I can't wait to see what problems arise when the Incredible comes out. It should be interesting to say the least.

6. PhoneSter

PhoneSter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Helix (1) runs great on stock 2.1 tried helix 2 and was to laggy for me

7. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I run helix V1 on a rooted phone and never have any force closes.

8. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,232
    I just switched back to stock after running hL1; been running smoother since.

9. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Zero FC with Helix on my stock 2.1 Droid. I ran Home++ for a few days after upgrading to 2.1 and it seemed much more stable than it did on 2.0.1, no FC with Home++ on 2.1. What widgets are you running? Maybe one or more of them is not playing nice with your home replacement.

10. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A few points. I've been running Helix1 for several weeks after several months of GDE. I occasionally go back to the stock homescreen just to "reset" my expectations. (All of this on a stock 2.1 Droid.)

Performance of GDE and Helix (both with seven screens) is virtually equal. Neither is as consistently "snappy" as the stock homescreen (on my wife's Droid). That's undoubtedly because there is less data to be processed in the stock homescreen and it's better integrated into the o/s.

It's common to say that these homescreen replacements "cause too much lag," but that's a bit misleading. The "lagginess" that is apparent in moving from one screen to another on occasion likely results from other multitasking demands while the homescreen replacement is trying to get cpu cycles. On the other hand, other apps may suffer for the same reason if a homescreen replacement is occupying a significant chunk of memory.

FC's (and warning messages) on bootup are common. They result from the o/s not going about its housekeeping as it boots in a completely predictable way. (This is the same problem experienced by Swype users having the app fail on bootup and necessitating a restart after that boot sequence is completed.)

Likewise, an occasional FC will occur while running if the o/s is needs memory and cpu cycles to meet other demands. As soon as those demands are met, the homescreen replacement should re-initialize.

I don't have much experience with some of the other homescreen replacements, but from what I've read they all operate in a similar fashion. Each works more or less flawlessly if you have few other apps competing for cpu cycles and the data tracking demands are minimal. On the other hand, if you have few apps and place few demands on the homescreen replacement, what's the point of having a homescreen replacement?

11. PsychoDroid

PsychoDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just switched back to stock. My Caller ID was not showing the names until the 2nd or 3rd ring, and it was playing the wrong ringtones. Plus, switching between screens took forever! If it continues now that I have gone back to stock, I will try to find another solution.

12. Rollingbones

Rollingbones Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the stock home screen had more than 3 screens, I'd stay with it, but I like having 5 with the way I have things organized. Like I sad, Helix has been working well. I agreee that the key is to not over tax the processer at one time.