Got WiFi but no update

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Checked into Starbucks with a really strong cup of coffee and logged onto their free wifi service and checked for updates. Window popped up saying there was an upgrade available but nothing happened. Is something supposed to happen when it starts downloading?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
The update is only available from Kies or the Verizon software update assistant on your PC. This is not an OTA update, as I believe there is critical Knox security software implementations involved. As in you are locked down now MOFO, and under our control, LOL.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It would download and then prompt you to install it now or later.

jamjr74

Reaction score
It is an ota update.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I got that annoying OTA update notification on my phone yesterday which I ended up freezing with Titanium Backup since it will break root on my phone. Will wait for an exploit before taking update.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I updated this straight from my phone. Not sure what everyone else is talking about

With wifi?? Did you see any progress bar or any indication that it was downloading?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
With wifi?? Did you see any progress bar or any indication that it was downloading?
Once you choose to download there should be a progress bar in your notification panel. If not you can try again by going to "about phone" and check for the update. After the download is done a popup window shows up asking to install it. If you choose to ignore it like I did a reminder window shows up and you can set the time. I ended up freezing the notification like Wicked with Titanium Backup, I like my root.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
But did you need to be hooked up to wifi? I never got a progress bar or anything.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
But did you need to be hooked up to wifi? I never got a progress bar or anything.
I was on wifi when I was downloading the update.

Maybe it did download, have you tried restarting your device? Once you do a notification should pop up regarding installing the update

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just restarted and nothing. When I hit search for updates it says there's an update available on wifi. But when i went to Starbucks and hooked up, nothing.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just restarted and nothing. When I hit search for updates it says there's an update available on wifi. But when i went to Starbucks and hooked up, nothing.
No idea then. I wouldn't worry too much the update will hit your phone eventually. It may still be in rollout phases, so you may have missed your window.