Got upgrade avail, scared of being shoved into tiered data. Still using OG Droid?!

OP
Rento

Rento

Reaction score
You scared me saying ~7 hours on an extended battery but then you said on 4g. I get about 7-8 hours on my D1 and about 10 hours of stand by... I really want more battery life then that. At least 12 hours of decent usage would be great.

jr313

Reaction score
No i get that using a factory battery it comes with. You may wna just go with the maxx man. And remember the droid has a lil screen and only a 3g device. 4G is a battery hog

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Rento

Rento

Reaction score
Oh right on, yeah my friend said that he can watch his battery drain on 4g.

What can you do the Maxx in terms of customizing, or is it entirely apps currently?

jr313

Reaction score
What you wna do is go thru the forums for the maxx to see what kinda development is goin on for it and customization. But you can only go so far with a locked bootloader, then check the nexus forums. I had an OG droid and that was the last moto device i owned. The nexus reminds me of it as far as how easy to unlock and root, and development goes you dont need any work arounds. Just do a lil research on both phones

OP
Rento

Rento

Reaction score
I'm on limited with the sale... If it's not over yet. Because i'm thinking of getting the Razr HD

jr313

Reaction score
You have a tuff decision brotha. I guess go with the better battery life the maxx, after all it is what your most worried about.

OP
Rento

Rento

Reaction score
I dropped the bill on the Maxx, thanks everyone...

Got pissed at the extra $50 charge for.... Total came out to $250..

Taxes and Fees
CA State Sales Tax* $39.00
CA Local Sales Tax* $11.37
$50.37

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You scared me saying ~7 hours on an extended battery but then you said on 4g. I get about 7-8 hours on my D1 and about 10 hours of stand by... I really want more battery life then that. At least 12 hours of decent usage would be great.
I get 12 hours easy on my Rezound with extended battery. I am in the habit of only charging it on my desk at work. I go home and do not charge it again until the next morning at work, when I usually have 20-40% remaining battery. I do not turn 4G off, ever, unless I am using Wifi because it is faster. And I never turn down brightness unless it is because it hurts my eyes at night (auto-brightness is off all the time...I always have my phone at 100% brightness unless I turn it down manually with a widget).

B

bens42608

You could get an extended battery for the nexus and carry an extra battery just in case, and as far as modding and dev community there isn't any better. I usually get about 7 hrs with at least an hr and a half of screen on time with factory battery on 4g all day i live in detroit and we have strong 4g and with the 4.0.4 update the signal has gotten better, though i never had signal issues.

I live in Detroit and we have excellent 4g all over. I never ever turn my 4g off on my bionic. With my extended battery I can go 2 days without touching a charger. If I do go empty, I just pop in my other battery. I always have one of my 3 batteries charging in my stand-alone charger. It's truly a great phone. Stands up to anything else out right now

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
If you plan on getting the Razr HD, I would personally just get the Bionic since it's free from Verizon. Yes, you'll have to 'deal' with a phone that's a bit outdated for a little while, but this is the cheapest way to keep unlimited and still get the Razr HD later on. The Bionic has a few mostly stable ICS ROMs out that you can flash in safestrap too.

trailjunkee

Reaction score
Ha. This is funny. I thought I was the only one still holding on to an OG Droid. I've really enjoyed it but the battery life sucks and it's just time for a new toy. After I got it rooted and set up like I wanted it I just left it so I really haven't been on top of all the new details in over a year or so. So I was thinking about going to a Maxx jsut because I really need the battery life. That's my biggest problem with the Droid 1 I've got. I'm typically out 14 hours a day and I use it mainly for email, weather and music (of my SD card although I like Pandora, too). I teach during the day and then mow grass until dark so I really need some battery life but am willing to go with whatever as long as it will run 12-14 hours strong. Just as an FYI I live in an area with no 4g coverage based on the Verizon map. I'm in the NW mountains of NC and typically don't head down to the big cities if I don't have to. I was also surprised that I might loose my Unlimited data soon. I'm getting ready to head out and do some reading but any info that might be willing to share would be great. I MIGHT run out tomorrow and pick up a new phone. How much time to I have to do my upgrade before this whole Grandfather thing goes away? Also do you guys think I'll run into problems trying to keep my Grandfathering when I head into the store. They always seem to be less than knowledgeable when I go in.

On another note on by rooted D1 I can use GPS maps when we travel and I noticed that on my wife's Droid X all I get is one of those Verizon messages that say's her's requires a fee or something. I can't remember if my GPS maps worked originally or if it only works because I rooted. What kinds of features am I going to loose or have to pay extra for if I move to the Maxx. I'm not set on the Maxx. The battery is just an issue. I really don't care if I root this time as long as the stupid thing works. Last time it was for fun and to try to get it to work a little faster. I'll go with a Nexus or something like that and root it if I need to to get features to work. I really am a 1 device person. This thing has to be my phone, music player, camera, etc.

Thanks and just tell me anything I need to know that might help make this happen. Off I go to read for the rest of the night!

Bryan

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
You definitely need the battery life, so make sure you get the MAX or a phone with an extended battery. When I got my Bionic, my old OG had better battery life. The 4G phones just don't last long. Im interested in the S3 so ill see how that works out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ha. This is funny. I thought I was the only one still holding on to an OG Droid. I've really enjoyed it but the battery life sucks and it's just time for a new toy.
Well, if you say you don't use 4G a lot (you're not in a good 4G coverage area), I am not sure if it matters if you are grandfathered into the unlimited thing or not. I am a fairly heavy user and I don't think I have ever gone over 1.5 gigs in a month. I came from a Droid 1 as well.

The Rezound has worked well for me...with the extended battery, I can do 14 hours easy, and I use my phone a lot. The Rezound has the best GPS reception on any phone I have used so far. Google maps flies on this thing. It has both SD and removable battery. 64 gig SD cards have been confirmed to work with it. It has an awesome camera and true 720p display. HTC allows you to unlock your phone "legitimately" now, and there is a great ROM community for it. I am running a leaked version of ICS, and this phone is pretty damn near perfect IMO now. ICS is just liquid smooth on this thing, even running stock. If it matters, it is also a world phone, and has the best voice reception of any phone I have used so far.

The Galaxy S3 is another good phone coming out shortly. It has everything the Rezound has but better (except maybe the display, but that is mostly personal preference). It also has NFC. The American version won't have a quad core CPU but it will have the S4, which is still awesome. According to Droid Life, you can still be grandfathered into unlimited data and get this phone (- Pre-order the Galaxy SIII From Verizon and You Keep Your Unlimited Data Plan – Droid Life -). Also has an awesome camera, probably even better than the Rezound.

Ditto with the Incredible 4G...It has everything the Rezound does except a better CPU (S4) and a slightly worse display (qHD). It also has NFC I think. We are getting this on Verizon instead of the HTC One X. It is tiny compared to the others, but bigger than the Droid 1 I think.

If I was going to buy a phone from Verizon right now, it'd be one of those three. I'd pass on the Razr (Moto are assholes about rooting, and no removable battery and no 720p display), and I'd pass on the Nexus (The Galaxy S3 is better in every way, and the Nexus has no SD and ****ty phone reception). The only thing the Nexus has going for it is Vanilla Android.

Comparison: Comparison: Galaxy S3 vs. Incredible 4G LTE vs. Galaxy Nexus vs. RAZR MAXX – Droid Life

Last edited:

trailjunkee

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'm checking out the Rezound and Incredible right now. Looks like on my account I can keep my unlimited plan but it looks like it's only 3G which is fine since that's all I have in my hometown but it seems like I've been reading that people are getting unlimited with 4G. Which is it, unlimited with or without 4G. If I can have it when I'm out of town it would be nice to have the capability. Also surprised there's a $30 upgrade fee. I remember when you got a $100 off on a new phone and you could basically get a phone or free. After almost 10 years with Verizon plus getting both my parents and my wife's parents moved to Verizon it's really the 1st time I'm seriously considering changing carriers. But we get best service up here with Verizon plus no minutes used to call the parents.

Also still looking at whether I can get 2 apps to run that I think Verizon makes you pay for, wireless tether and navigation. If I get a phone and root it can I get these 2 to work? Just so you'll know I'm not planning on abusing this. I have wifi at home and work but I'd like for my daughter to be able to get internet on her I-pod when we're away from home and maybe use my laptop if I'm away from home. I think I've tethered maybe 2 times in the last year. Just want the capability. Same thing with the navigation. Don't use it much but if I need it I want to be able to use it. Looks like rooting the Maxx shouldn't be much of a problem now I've just got to find out if there are maybe some rom's that will do that. Probably will root whichever of the 3 I get. Looks like I'm down to Rezound, Incredible or Maxx. Probably not going to wait for the latest greatest. Don't really need it and I just did that on a part for my mountain bike and spent $300 on the part and it stopped working after a month. The company's been good to me but I'm really at the point where I just want something to work.

Thanks again,
Bryan

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The Razr is a nice phone, but if you are used to the Droid you might find the lack of a removable battery annoying. You will not be able to upgrade it and when it eventually dies, you will have to go through your warranty to replace it. No one seems to be clear on exactly how this will work...they don't have a set procedure for it like Apple does.

If you can live with it's smaller size and lower display resolution, the Incredible is probably the best one. But I have had the Rezound since December, and with ICS this phone is just awesome.