Got the phone at 11AM, scratched screen by 4PM. Dissapointed

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Put screensaver on before activating it...if you want to run naked do it at your own risk

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
INCREMENTAL said:
Even tho they say they use gorilla glass I still thank its different then what Moto uses. I work in a machine shop and my OG Droid and Bionic has seen my work up in down and country life of being in the dirt all the time and have yet to scratch either but when I had the Nexus for a bit I put a fine scratch on it in no time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

It's the same glass.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Is the glass that's scratched our the coating?

In most cases, it's the coating that's scratched. But since a scratch in the coating is there to stay without a means of repair in nearly all situations, it really doesn't matter which is actually scratched. At the end of the day, a scratch is a scratch.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
(Revised) The glass primarily consists of normal glass but is transformed at the surface by a "doping process", where one molecule, atom or ion of a particular substance is exchanged for another. In the Gorilla Glass's case, it's the ions of Sodium (which are one specific physical size), are exchanged for potassium ions (which are larger specific size), and technically fill in the voids between the nearby atoms of the silicon, or more accurately sodium silicate (the primary element of glass), both making the matrix of atoms tighter and also leaving fewer and smaller indentations in the glass from which scratches start.

In thoery, if the surface of the glass were 100% perfectly free of any voids, then it would be nearly impossible to "scratch" since without an edge to catch the scratching abrasive and start the scratch process, the abrasive would instead simply slide across the surface like a wet foot on ice.

From Wikipedia (Gorilla Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Manufacturing process

The glass is toughened by ion exchange. It is placed in a hot bath of molten potassium salt at a temperature of approximately 400 °C (~750 °F). Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These larger ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass's special composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates a surface that is more resistant to damage from everyday use. Like all glass, Gorilla Glass can be recycled.[SUP][9][/SUP]
Corning manufactures Gorilla Glass in Harrodsburg, Kentucky (USA) and in Shizuoka (Japan).

So you see, what makes Gorilla Glass into its trademarked product isn't really a coating or coatings but instead becomes a physical and chemical part of the composition of the glass at the surface. This surface layer transformation is deep into the glass (relatively speaking), so even surface scratches may not break through it into the unprotected glass substrate. Unfortunately any attempts to "buff out" or "polish out" surface scratches may remove enough of the transformed surface glass to leave a portion of the surface unprotected.

There is on most cellular phones with Gorilla Glass (as bsweetness has advised me), a "wear-resistant coating" to make the glass "Easy to clean", and this coating can be scratched, which would show up as a microfine line that might only be seen with directional light cast across the glass at the right angle like sunlight. A relatively good way to determine if the scratch is only in the coating or has made it into the glass is to run your fingernail across the scratch, if you feel the scratch there's a good probability it's through the coatings and into the glass surface. Either way, whether it is only in the coatings or in the actual Gorilla Glass, my advice is the same...

You are best to leave any scratches alone, or at most apply a polymer based scratch "filler", usually in the form of a light tan paste, which leaves a hardened residue of optical grade plastic in the crack and minimizes (sometimes even completely disguises) the scratch. This scratch repair paste is most commonly sold as a CD Repair Kit (available at Radio Shack), and works amazingly well, but most importantly is NOT ABRASIVE, so as to not do additional damage to the surface of the glass.

Finally, if a phone is scratched by you, do the right thing...suck it up and deal with it. Taking it back and claiming it was there all along in order to get it replaced free is dishonest and is frowned upon by the forum.

It also results in several repercussions, including higher prices for future products due to reduced profitability or higher warranty insurance costs, stricter return policies as these dishonest methods (loopholes) of skirting the system are discovered by the retailer or manufacturer and closed off (which then hurts those who are returning items with honest and legitimate claims), and can ultimately result in someone at the customer service counter losing their job for making an executive decision under pressure and without proper authority.

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The glass isn't "coated" in the truest sense that would be used to describe for instance a camera lens or prescription eyeglasses with an anti-reflective coating. It's more of a "doping process", where one molecule, atom or ion of a particular substance is exchanged for another. In the Gorilla Glass's case, it's the ions of Sodium (which are one specific physical size), are exchanged for potassium ions (which are larger specific size), and technically fill in the voids between the nearby atoms of the silicon, or more accurately sodium silicate (the primary element of glass), both making the matrix of atoms tighter and also leaving fewer and smaller indentations in the glass from which scratches start.

In thoery, if the surface of the glass were 100% perfectly free of any voids, then it would be nearly impossible to "scratch" since without an edge to catch the scratching abrasive and start the scratch process, the abrasive would instead simply slide across the surface like a wet foot on ice.

From Wikipedia (Gorilla Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Manufacturing process

The glass is toughened by ion exchange. It is placed in a hot bath of molten potassium salt at a temperature of approximately 400 °C (~750 °F). Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These larger ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass's special composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates a surface that is more resistant to damage from everyday use. Like all glass, Gorilla Glass can be recycled.[SUP][9][/SUP]
Corning manufactures Gorilla Glass in Harrodsburg, Kentucky (USA) and in Shizuoka (Japan).

So you see, it's not really a coating but instead becomes a physical and chemical part of the composition of the glass at the surface. This surface layer transformation is deep into the glass (relatively speaking), so even surface scratches may not break through it into the unprotected glass substrate. Unfortunately any attempts to "buff out" or "polish out" surface scratches may remove enough of the transformed surface glass to leave a portion of the surface unprotected.

You are best to leave any scratches alone, or at most apply a polymer based scratch "filler", usually in the form of a light tan paste, which leaves a hardened residue of optical grade plastic in the crack and minimizes (sometimes even completely disguises) the scratch. This scratch repair paste is most commonly sold as a CD Repair Kit (available at Radio Shack), and works amazingly well, but most importantly is NOT ABRASIVE, so as to not do additional damage to the surface of the glass.

Finally, if a phone is scratched by you, do the right thing...suck it up and deal with it. Taking it back and claiming it was there all along in order to get it replaced free is dishonest and is frowned upon by the forum.

Actually, there is a coating that is applied by Corning to the Gorilla Glass if the company designing the device requests it.

Corning Gorilla Glass - Characteristics
: "Easy-to-clean, wear-resistant coating: Customers can request Gorilla Glass with a special coating, making it easier to clean than other cover glasses – a perfect feature for touch devices."

Corning Gorilla Glass - Customization: "Easy-to-clean: Fingerprints and smudges can be a problem with touch devices, but Gorilla Glass offers a coating that is easier to clean than other cover glasses – perfect for touch screens and handhelds."

Most phones and tablets with Gorilla Glass have this coating, which is applied in addition to the process of manufacturing the glass that you detailed. The scratches that people see on the screen tend to be in this applied coating rather than on the glass.

Last edited:

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Again, they should just use sapphire screens. If there was an extra ~$100 premium for it, I'd gladly pay up for it, since the screen would be virtually indestructable under normal use.

Breakfast beats worrying.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually, there is a coating that is applied by Corning to the Gorilla Glass if the company designing the device requests it.

Corning Gorilla Glass - Characteristics
: "Easy-to-clean, wear-resistant coating: Customers can request Gorilla Glass with a special coating, making it easier to clean than other cover glasses – a perfect feature for touch devices."

Corning Gorilla Glass - Customization: "Easy-to-clean: Fingerprints and smudges can be a problem with touch devices, but Gorilla Glass offers a coating that is easier to clean than other cover glasses – perfect for touch screens and handhelds."

Most phones and tablets with Gorilla Glass have this coating, which is applied in addition to the process of manufacturing the glass that you detailed. The scratches that people see on the screen tend to be in this applied coating rather than on the glass.

And I apparently have been educated as well, imagine that...everyone learns something new each day. Is it any surprise? Thanks for clarifying bsweetness, I didn't research coatings and obviously there are coatings as described.

I will say this, the advice given regarding buffing out or attempting to "remove" scratches, even if in coatings as described, will in fact remove a portion of the coating as well, thereby leaving that area that was "buffed" then unprotected from the coatings. If left alone, only the minute surface immediately along the scratch will be unprotected, essentially having potentially virtually no measurable reduced protection from those coatings.

I am an avid photographer and with the multitude of coatings on photography lenses I am extremely cautious when applying ANY wiping or pressure on the surface of the lens for fear of damaging those coatings and diminishing the performance of the lenses. Similar care should be exercised when cleaning or wiping your phone's glass front surface. It is designed to take finger pressure, swiping motions, finger oils, water or moisture, and other airborne environmental debris, but NOTHING with ANY abrasive qualities, which would include even cotton fabric, should be used to wipe the glass.

Microfiber lens cloths, or disposable lens cloths should be the primary method of screen cleaning. Even a swipe across your shirt could result in a scratch since the fibers in your shirt may contain abrasives that are undetectable with the naked eye, but are large enough to do damage to the screen coatings and glass surface.

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
It's the same glass.

As to the S3 or Nexus? The Nexus had fortified glass, not gorilla glass and the S3 has gorilla glass 2 so technically not the same thing.

taihard

Reaction score

It also results in several repercussions, including higher prices for future products due to reduced profitability or higher warranty insurance costs, stricter return policies as these dishonest methods (loopholes) of skirting the system are discovered by the retailer or manufacturer and closed off (which then hurts those who are returning items with honest and legitimate claims), and can ultimately result in someone at the customer service counter losing their job for making an executive decision under pressure and without proper authority.

So you're saying that the OP should spend hundreds of dollars on a phone and do nothing wrong, save maybe having a sand grain in his pocket but other wise do nothing that that should have caused a scratch yet the device got a scratch on it within a matter of hours after purchasing it but he should just suck it up?! I think that perfectly warrants a trip back to the store to exchange it! No device costing so much should be able to be so easily scratched. And I'm sorry my other post (Deleted already) sounded so dishonest. I truly thought there was no way I could have put a scratch on it but then after exchanging it and the same thing happening I did realize it was probably my fault and so I am sticking with the phone I have now. I also said "use a little elbow grease" which I didn't mean. I did not "buff" it out, I used disposable electronic cleaning cloths and just cleaned it (which I suspect just removed finger oils or whatever else from the hairline crack thus reducing its appearance). After cleaning it to reduce its visibility and then placing a screen protector over it, you can't even tell it's there. So yes, you should not be dishonest nor should you be rough when cleaning your device, I'm sorry my previous post sounded like such.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
taihard said:
So you're saying that the OP should spend hundreds of dollars on a phone and do nothing wrong, save maybe having a sand grain in his pocket but other wise do nothing that that should have caused a scratch yet the device got a scratch on it within a matter of hours after purchasing it but he should just suck it up?! I think that perfectly warrants a trip back to the store to exchange it! No device costing so much should be able to be so easily scratched. And I'm sorry my other post (Deleted already) sounded so dishonest. I truly thought there was no way I could have put a scratch on it but then after exchanging it and the same thing happening I did realize it was probably my fault and so I am sticking with the phone I have now. I also said "use a little elbow grease" which I didn't mean. I did not "buff" it out, I used disposable electronic cleaning cloths and just cleaned it (which I suspect just removed finger oils or whatever else from the hairline crack thus reducing its appearance). After cleaning it to reduce its visibility and then placing a screen protector over it, you can't even tell it's there. So yes, you should not be dishonest nor should you be rough when cleaning your device, I'm sorry my previous post sounded like such.

Why don't you buy a car, put a nice scratch across the windshield, then take it back to the dealer demanding an entirely new car. The car cost a lot so surely the windshield must be made of diamonds.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
INCREMENTAL said:
As to the S3 or Nexus? The Nexus had fortified glass, not gorilla glass and the S3 has gorilla glass 2 so technically not the same thing.

Gorilla glass is fortified glass, all new phones come with fortified glass, some just use a well known name brand called Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

Natey2

Reaction score
I've had my phone for about 2 years. No scratches on my screen. No screen protector too.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
cybertec69 said:
Gorilla glass is fortified glass, all new phones come with fortified glass, some just use a well known name brand called Gorilla Glass.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS using Droid Forums

Well that may be true but I know whatever they used on the Nexus was not the same as the Bionic/Razr. I don't even have to be careful and no scratches but that Gnex had minor scratches n a weeks time.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well that may be true but I know whatever they used on the Nexus was not the same as the Bionic/Razr. I don't even have to be careful and no scratches but that Gnex had minor scratches n a weeks time.

Most of the time, those are not even scratches on the glass itself, but scuffs to the coating on the glass.