got the d3

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by malaka, Jul 8, 2011.

1. malaka

malaka New Member

on the way in the mail but after reading about the locked bootloader im kinda considering returning it already...i had the charge for a few days rooted it didnt care for any of the roms, lack of netflix and the cm rom...to help me decide if im keeping the d3 or not...with a locked bootloader its impossible to ever get cm on there ? im not fully sure what the the lockdown is...i know you cant change the kernal from rooting a dx...but what about overclocking then? I guess i might just be sitting on the droid 1 for another year if the d3 phone cant be cracked...maybe time to jump ship and wait for the evo shift 2 or something...http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1147243
  2. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

This is kinda scaring me about new phones. I am completely in LOVE with CM7 on my Droid 1...but I want the high-speed of both network/processor that the Bionic offers. However, I won't have my DSP Manager (equalizer), Wired/Wireless tethering, or any of the COOL features and customizations that I have on my Droid 1. I hope that people shift to ROMing up the Bionic...but I doubt it.
  3. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

no rom no deal

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Whaaaat?
    I thought it was confirmed no lock..
    aaaaah.

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum
  5. Artimis

Artimis New Member

I just think it is a matter of when....not if.

The DX and D2 both have locked and encrypted bootloaders but CM7 is finally trickling out to those devices. The DX2 already has CWM so it is just a matter of time before we start seeing CM7 for that too.

The D3 bootloader was confirmed to be locked but there has not yet been any confirmation of it being encrypted.

In any case, it will just be a matter of time before:
    1) Workarounds are found to get past this so custom ROMs can be loaded
    2) Something leaks like it did with the Atrix allowing for a full unlock
    3) Moto actually releases an unlock later on in 2011 like they claim they might.
  6. guyinlaca

guyinlaca New Member

I don't know how people are getting such "great" results from the Droid 1. I've tried CM and a variety of other ROM's and UNLESS the Droid 1 is severely overclocked, it doesn't run as well as the Droid X or any of the new Motorola's. Immediately after a fresh ROM flash, the phone runs great, then after a few app downloads and daily usage, the phone begins lagging and hiccuping like crazy.

Yeah, you can overclock the Droid and run AOSP Rom's but the lack of RAM, and overall hardware limitations will cause your phone to choke when you load too many apps. I've had 3 friends burn out their Droids by overclocking and they were forced to get insurance replacements.

For those who don't want to wipe the cache everyday, or be limited to 15 add on apps, the Droid 3 offers a much better experience.
  7. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

Running Froyo at 800Mhz here... My phone does what I need it to, that's all that matters to me. Personally I don't want another physical keyboard phone so I'm waiting on the Bionic.

I guess I'm lucky, I've had my phone rooted since the original update.zip exploit came out and I've had it overclocked to various speeds over the past year and a half and it's chugging along fine for what it is.
  8. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

800Mhz and zeppelinrox's SuperCharger script has the phone snappier now than many of my friends' newer phones with more powerful CPUs. Avoiding GB ROMs helps a lot too. FroYo doesn't seem to have the overhead of GB. Why is it that all OS upgrades always add more bloatware and overhead?? What happened to keeping it small, fast, and efficient??
  9. rob0809

rob0809 New Member

That's what she said.
  10. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I'd say wait till you get the phone to deside if you're going to return it.

There are phones with locked bootloaders that are getting the roms.

It just takes some time. The D3 looks like a great device. You should be just fine with it till roms start roms coming out.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  11. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

I don't understand the logic of buying a brand new 3G phone, when 4G is rolling out all over the country with a considerably higher upload/download speed...

Plus the ability to shut up those AT&T users once and for all with that stupid "talk on the phone while accessing the web" claim.
  12. draexo

draexo New Member

I didn't get 4g because Verizion told me two years til it hit my area. Heck by then I'll have a new phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  13. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

"3) Moto actually releases an unlock later on in 2011 like they claim they might. "

Moto can claim they "might" all day long...

In the meantime until VZ provides a clause in your CONTRACT that you can return said phone because they decided that they "might not" ... don't buy one.

Lock yourself in a contract, moto gets the $$$ for the phone, and your stuck.
  14. Stories

Stories New Member

Because Gingerbread effectively manages and utilizes the increased RAM on newer phones. Our old D1 suffers from inadequate RAM which is why the memory issues has been lingering on our phones for so long on all versions of Gingerbread.