Got Oreo on my z2 force

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
That's a Google Security policy. Nothing you can do about it, except post on the Google Support site and see what Google engineers have to say.

Can you use Smart Lock options with your employer's Group Policy? On Body Detection, Trusted Place, Trusted Voice, Trusted Device? That's how Google allows us to use Hands Free commands and Voice Actions with an active lock screen. I use a lock screen and Trusted Device and that unlocks my phone automatically. I use Trusted Voice and Trusted Place on my wife's phone and that unlocks her phone when using Voice Commands.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Previous to Moto z2 it worked with trusted voice , face etc but Moto z2 seemed to be more restrictive. Yet iPhone x let's you use a trusted face on lock screen with same lock screen policy , it seems to be part cell phone vendor part Google policy

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Previous to Moto z2 it worked with trusted voice , face etc but Moto z2 seemed to be more restrictive. Yet iPhone x let's you use a trusted face on lock screen with same lock screen policy , it seems to be part cell phone vendor part Google policy

So what Trust options does the Z2 have? There has to be more than one.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Same stuff I had on my Turbo 2. Did you go here and activate the voice setting?
423a4d40118c5f0f490e5c5d7d66e2a8.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yep, same Trust Settings as the Turbo 2, Z Force and Z Play. Should be able to find one of those that would work to do the job.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Yep, same Trust Settings as the Turbo 2, Z Force and Z Play. Should be able to find one of those that would work to do the job.

Once a fingerprint policy is applied , voice , face , Google now all etc stay being the lock screen until you use your fingerprint.

So you can't use Google now to send a text from the lock screen or tell Google maps to navigate to from the lock screen. The only thing that works from the lock screen is answer calls and dismiss alarms

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Once a fingerprint policy is applied , voice , face , Google now all etc stay being the lock screen until you use your fingerprint.

So you can't use Google now to send a text from the lock screen or tell Google maps to navigate to from the lock screen. The only thing that works from the lock screen is answer calls and dismiss alarms

I believe that's your employer's Group Policy being applied. That's not how.my phone works without corporate security rules. If they pay for the phone, or use a BYOD policy, you are at their mercy with their security policies

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I believe that's your employer's Group Policy being applied. That's not how.my phone works without corporate security rules. If they pay for the phone, or use a BYOD policy, you are at their mercy with their security policies

Seems like newer models of Android are more restrictive then older ones and iPhones

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Seems like newer models of Android are more restrictive then older ones and iPhones

Not really, what you are describing sounds like your employer has placed extra security restrictions that are not part of a stock Moto phone.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Not really, what you are describing sounds like your employer has placed extra security restrictions that are not part of a stock Moto phone.

But other people with the same policy that have older androids and current iPhones , the policy effects are less restrictive so empirical evidence seems to say the newer Android phones and specifically Moto's z2s interpret the policy to be more restrictive

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'll lay with it to confirm (or deny).

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
But other people with the same policy that have older androids and current iPhones , the policy effects are less restrictive so empirical evidence seems to say the newer Android phones and specifically Moto's z2s interpret the policy to be more restrictive

I have two phones, my personal phone (Z Force) and an old Samsung provided by my employer. It's still on Kit Kat and will never see another update. With our company security policies the only thing I can do from the Lock Screen is answer calls....that's it. All other options are not available

I guess what we are trying to say is that your phone security is controlled by your employer, because either you opted to or they pay for the phone. If your issue is with Google Security policy in Oreo, nobody here can really help with that. If your issue is with the Z2 Force, sell it and get a different phone. If it's running Oreo and stock Android it will have the same results

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I have two phones, my personal phone (Z Force) and an old Samsung provided by my employer. It's still on Kit Kat and will never see another update. With our company security policies the only thing I can do from the Lock Screen is answer calls....that's it. All other options are not available

I guess what we are trying to say is that your phone security is controlled by your employer, because either you opted to or they pay for the phone. If your issue is with Google Security policy in Oreo, nobody here can really help with that. If your issue is with the Z2 Force, sell it and get a different phone. If it's running Oreo and stock Android it will have the same results

I am trying to make the following point that phones interpret policies in different ways for instance an iPhone x with face id will be unlockable by a face while certain Android phones with the same policy will unlock with a face or voice etc while other androids will not unlock with the same policy. Also some things like Apple watch and blue tooth devices override these type of thing there doesn't seem to be a set standard of what's allowed or not

Hands free should be automatically be allowed for certain essential features like calling, voice navigation to Google maps.

I do find that your kit Kat phone behaves the way it does maybe KitKat started the lockdown extra security or maybe it varies by manufacturer . I have seen various different behaviors with different phones on the policy. Curious what other people besides you and me have seen on the forum with when face unlock and hands free voice control works on the lock screen or not

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
- Removed Home from Trusted Places
- Turned off facial
- Disconnected Watch
- Turned off body detection
- Locked phone with fingerprint
- Checked to ensure phone was locked: check
- "OK, Google” Phone woke up, unlocked and Goog was waiting for me to say something.

Also, as the phone admin in my office I require passcodes. That's it. There are no settings anywhere for me to say "user must use fingerprint".

So I have no clue what's up with your phone, bro.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am trying to make the following point that phones interpret policies in different ways for instance an iPhone x with face id will be unlockable by a face while certain Android phones with the same policy will unlock with a face or voice etc while other androids will not unlock with the same policy. Also some things like Apple watch and blue tooth devices override these type of thing there doesn't seem to be a set standard of what's allowed or not

Hands free should be automatically be allowed for certain essential features like calling, voice navigation to Google maps.

I do find that your kit Kat phone behaves the way it does maybe KitKat started the lockdown extra security or maybe it varies by manufacturer . I have seen various different behaviors with different phones on the policy. Curious what other people besides you and me have seen on the forum with when face unlock and hands free voice control works on the lock screen or not

But we can't just say "curious to see what other people have noticed..." when your phone is controlled by your employer security policies and most folks are not. Can't compare apples to oranges. Pere just posted that a Z2 Force without security policies in place performs as you would expect and as my phone does.