Got Oreo on my z2 force

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I don't like
1)The persistent notifications for background tasks, workaround is set back round notifications to low and they are a bit less annoying (applies to apps with background tasks like Tasker)
2) The new way to answer the phone on the lock screen, now you have to swipe up to answer and swipe down to ignore and the swipe down is hard to do as it doesn't give much screen space to preform the action

Moto also seem to have added a few more swipe action options that I didn't find useful.

Haven't noticed any improvements that I like so far. What are other people s opinions on Oreo?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Like it so far. A little different, but stable

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm just waiting for the "well my phone doesn't have Oreo..." Or "when is my phone going to get Oreo" type of posts here. It's bound to happen, someone will have something snarky to post.

With every new OS update there are things some people will like and things some people will not like; it's just the nature of the beast.

At least Moto is continuing to roll out Android OS updates at a quick pace, it's hard to complain about that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I'm just waiting for the "well my phone doesn't have Oreo..." Or "when is my phone going to get Oreo" type of posts here. It's bound to happen, someone will have something snarky to post.

With every new OS update there are things some people will like and things some people will not like; it's just the nature of the beast.

At least Moto is continuing to roll out Android OS updates at a quick pace, it's hard to complain about that.

Another annoyance
With Oreo it's turns on vibrate on texts in Google messages by each conversation even if default is off.
You have to go into app notifications and turn vibrate off for each conversation you don't want it on.

It seems to have to do with Oreos new categories feature and possibly a bug where incorrect settings are cached after upgrading to Oreo.
Found lots of articles on google about this but no full explanation anyone else run into this?

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

you sound disappointed :p

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
you sound disappointed :p
Oreo seems like a dot upgrade , with UI annoyances, I'm disappointed so far with it

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Oreo seems like a dot upgrade , with UI annoyances, I'm disappointed so far with it

You guys are some of the first phones in the US to get it. Can't be disappointed

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
You guys are some of the first phones in the US to get it. Can't be disappointed

It defaults to turn on vibrate for everything, that you manually have to turn off in categories settings, which you can't get to from within most apps directly, you have to go to settings notifications apps and pick the app. Poor design not adding a a way to get to it directly from the app that you want to adjust
So by default phone rings and vibrates, missed call beeps and vibrates, send call to voicemail it vibrates, you have to manually turn vibrate off everywhere you don't want it. The should be a global don't make vibrate and ring the default switch.

Oreo is supposed to extend battery life but my z2 force is already so good I have not noticed. I use nova launcher so I haven't noticed the built in badges but that's probably nice for those that use default launcher. Picture in picture sounds cool but have not see it in use yet.

So far Oreo a headache to change default settings that it adds and have not noticed any benefits yet for the way I use my phone.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
It defaults to turn on vibrate for everything, that you manually have to turn off in categories settings, which you can't get to from within most apps directly, you have to go to settings notifications apps and pick the app. Poor design not adding a a way to get to it directly from the app that you want to adjust
So by default phone rings and vibrates, missed call beeps and vibrates, send call to voicemail it vibrates, you have to manually turn vibrate off everywhere you don't want it. The should be a global don't make vibrate and ring the default switch.

Oreo is supposed to extend battery life but my z2 force is already so good I have not noticed. I use nova launcher so I haven't noticed the built in badges but that's probably nice for those that use default launcher. Picture in picture sounds cool but have not see it in use yet.

So far Oreo a headache to change default settings that it adds and have not noticed any benefits yet for the way I use my phone.

interesting review - thanks, now we know what we are in for.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
interesting review - thanks, now we know what we are in for.
Found another incompatible app with Oreo that blocks unkown calls and specified numbers. It's also supposed to do sms block but I can't find an updated version on the play store and no links on it's web site oh well, uninstalled until they fix it

Also I can't find a way in Oreo to block sms to go directly to archived like you used to be able to do. The native block also blocks calls and texts and you can't choose block sms and send calls to voicemail like you used to be able to do. Google Needs more options and tweaks if they are gonna be incompatible with more and more apps and take over the functionality they should include all the same features

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm loving Oreo.
I like the more colorful notifications. Didn't think that would be a big deal but it is much prettier and, yea...adds to my enjoyment of the phone.
I, as opposed to op, love the notifications about background processes. Example: I have Pandora built into my car. Until Oreo I had no clue that Pandora would launch in the background every time my phone connects to BT in my car. Ran like that for a year and didn't know that was happening until Oreo. Definitely like knowing more about what my phone is doing.
One feature I love and didn't think I would, is this PIP thing. I was running G Maps. Went to do something else and wham: see attached. Come on. That's cool.
My only gripe is that the time doesn't show when you swipe down the notify tray. I don't normally run a clock widget. And I removed the time from the top bar with UI Tuner. So...now I run a clock widget. Not sure what they were thinking there.
1355f6ae6e76ae9a0e920ddf22be8446.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I'm loving Oreo.
I like the more colorful notifications. Didn't think that would be a big deal but it is much prettier and, yea...adds to my enjoyment of the phone.
I, as opposed to op, love the notifications about background processes. Example: I have Pandora built into my car. Until Oreo I had no clue that Pandora would launch in the background every time my phone connects to BT in my car. Ran like that for a year and didn't know that was happening until Oreo. Definitely like knowing more about what my phone is doing.
One feature I love and didn't think I would, is this PIP thing. I was running G Maps. Went to do something else and wham: see attached. Come on. That's cool.
My only gripe is that the time doesn't show when you swipe down the notify tray. I don't normally run a clock widget. And I removed the time from the top bar with UI Tuner. So...now I run a clock widget. Not sure what they were thinking there.
1355f6ae6e76ae9a0e920ddf22be8446.jpg

Does that map thing happen when you press home on switch apps?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Both. Any time you leave the app however you do it. It only happens if you have a route going though.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Both. Any time you leave the app however you do it. It only happens if you have a route going though.

Add another annoyance to the modern Moto or Oreo not sure which. If you are locked down with fingerprint by corporate policy not only does Google now voice commands not work from lock screen , clicki g respond to a call with a text on the lock screen even though it looks like it accepts it I don't see the text I. The message log.
You can't do hands free voice commands, which is a step forward for lock screen security but a step backwards for hands free interaction of keep having to unlock screen.
Anybody else notice this
I think there should be a standard list of what is allowed on a lock screen

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a Google Security policy. Nothing you can do about it, except post on the Google Support site and see what Google engineers have to say.

Can you use Smart Lock options with your employer's Group Policy? On Body Detection, Trusted Place, Trusted Voice, Trusted Device? That's how Google allows us to use Hands Free commands and Voice Actions with an active lock screen. I use a lock screen and Trusted Device and that unlocks my phone automatically. I use Trusted Voice and Trusted Place on my wife's phone and that unlocks her phone when using Voice Commands.

Last edited: