1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Got OpenVPN Running on 2.1!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by prochobo, Dec 23, 2009.

1. prochobo

prochobo New Member

Got OpenVPN Running on 2.1!!! (How-To)

Finally got it figured out :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:! Must have busybox installed if you want to use cp (and possibly ln). All commands below assume you have root access.

First, get TunnelDroid from the market place. Then, copy your client OpenVPN files to the openvpn directory on your SD card. This includes your client cert, client key, server ca.crt, and client .ovpn config file.

Now this is where you've gotta do some work. The Droid does not have the tun.ko module needed to create the VPN tunnel. Get it from here (just download the tun.ko):

get-a-robot-vpnc - Project Hosting on Google Code

Then remount your file system to r/w and copy the tun.ko module to your /system/lib/modules directory

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system 
    cp /sdcard/tun.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
    Then grab the OpenVPN binaries from here (zipped, at the bottom of the list):
    Browse TunnelDroid Files on SourceForge.net

Now follow these instructions:

Code:
    Step 1 - Take back and secure externally - optional, but always a good idea.

Step 2 - Make a backup of the original files, you never know...
    > adb shell remount
    > adb shell
    # cd /system/lib
    # cp libcrypto.so libcrypto-orig.so
    # cp libssl.so libssl-orig.so
    # exit

Step 3 - Perform the following text commands at a command prompt
    From the unzipped fries download find all the files (should be 5 in total) and do
    > adb shell remount
    > adb push libcrypto.so /system/lib/
    > adb push liblzo.so /system/lib/
    > adb push libssl.so /system/lib/
    > adb push openvpn /system/bin/

Then reboot the phone

Make sure you have a kernel with the tun device installed and loaded.
    You can either use the sdk and use adb, or you can use "cp" from a terminal on your phone.

One addition to the procedure directly above is that I had to change the permissions on the openvpn binary:

Code:
    chmod 755 /system/bin/openvpn
    Then, load the tun.ko module:

Code:
    insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
    Now, in this version of TunnelDroid at the time of this post, it looks to /system/xbin for the "ifconfig" and "route" binaries. Since the Droid doesn't have these binaries in the /system/xbin folder, you can make sym links:

Code:
    cd /system/xbin
    ln -s /system/bin/ifconfig ifconfig
    ln -s /system/bin/route route
    Now you should be able to open TunnelDroid, see your .ovpn client config file, and connect!!!

Works over wifi and 3G.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

Wow, that's great! I'm using PPTP right now, and it kind of stinks. I'm going to have to upgrade to 2.1 from 2.0.1 first though. One question, is there some way to backup the entire phone (i.e. take an image backup) before trying all this, so that if I brick it, I have a way back?

mudtoe
  3. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

The openvpn procedure here also works on android 2.0.1 as well, so you are not forced to upgrade.
  4. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

I'm going through the procedure now, but I wanted to find out if I have to use a routed connection versus a bridged one because the device created was called "tun". Also, if that's the case, is the version of OpenVPN that goes with this one of the older ones where you have to use all those alias subnets in order to get a routed VPN?

mudtoe

Edit: Looks like the version is 2.1 rc15, which has the topology routing feature in it, so no messing with extra subnets :) . I got the software installed on the phone and I ran a test where I just keyed in "openvpn --mktun --dev tap0" and that worked as well (response was that tap0 device was created and opened), so it appears that the tun.so driver also can do an ethernet bridging VPN as well as a routed VPN ("openvpn --mktun --dev tun0" worked too). That's good as I use a bridged VPN to connect my laptop to my home office network, and I had originally thought that the driver would only allow a routed VPN device to be created. I haven't created a full config file yet or done the work to create a new set of encryption keys for the droid, but that's on the list for today.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  5. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

I was able to get a tap connection active, but I can't ping or transfer any data across it. I'm not sure what's wrong, as I didn't change the server side at all, and I used a .ovpn configuration file from my laptop as the model for the droid, and just took out the windows specific stuff. I'm curious if the people who have this working have it working in bridging mode (tap) or tunnel mode (tun)?

I'm starting the process of creating a tunnel mode connection on my OpenVPN server so that I can try that.

mudtoe
  6. mudtoe

mudtoe New Member

Update: It looks like the issue is that the ifconfig command doesn't work from within openvpn on the droid, either in tap or tun mode. I checked and the symlink is set in /system/xbin. The tap or tun device always ends up with an invalid IP address which consists of the correct subnet with a 255 suffix (e.g. should be 192.168.5.10 and ends up 192.168.5.255). If I manually create the tap or tun device first via "openvpn --mktun -dev tap5", followed by manually keying "ifconfig tap5 192.168.5.10 netmask 255.255.255.0" in a rooted terminal session, and then setting "ifconfig-noexec" in the openvpn config file I can get it to work in either tap or tun mode. I have no idea why ifconfig directive inside openvpn isn't working right.
  7. LillieBennett

LillieBennett New Member

VPN PPTP encrypted

The native setting in Droid will connect but the tunnel won't work. I'm trying openvpn to see if it will connect to a plain vanilla pptp encrypted windows vpn server.

This is probably very stupid but where does one get the client config files ("Then, copy your client OpenVPN files to the openvpn directory on your SD card. This includes your client cert, client key, server ca.crt, and client .ovpn config file.")?

Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out how to edit them:)
  8. gavron

gavron New Member

SG6.0 vpn works with PPTP out of the box.

E
  9. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

my rom has tun.ko built in natively :D
  10. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

I know I've got my stoopid hat on today but how do I get a console window to enter the cp, etc. commands?
  11. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

OK. I got my stoopid hat off and got a console app. When I try to insmod tun.ko, I get an "Exec format error." I'm guess it was build for a different phone? I have an original Motorola Droid with Android 2.2. Is there a tun.ko for that?
  12. Artimis

Artimis New Member

tun.ko for the stock kernel (2.2) can be obtained from here: http://www.saturnwiki.net/droid_tun_driver/2.6.32.9/tun.ko

If you are not running a the stock kernel, you will need a tun module compiled for that kernel from the kernel dev unless they have built tit into the kernel already which a lot do (and in which case, you don't need to call insmod).
  13. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

As far as I can tell, I have a stock kernel. I unlocked and rooted my phone but didn't replace the kernel (did I? It's been a while.).

`uname -a` says "Linux localhost 2.6.32.9-g874c292 #1 PREMPT Thu Jul 22 18:48:25 PDT 2010 arm71 GNU/Linux". I've tried tun.ko and tun_alt.ko from saturnwiki with the same results. And I don't understand why Linux on my phone is so finicky when I can often load kernel modules from different builds of the same kernel version on my desktop.
  14. Artimis

Artimis New Member

Hmmm....the only things I can think of to help troubleshoot are:

1) are permissions for tun.ko correct?
    2) Did you su first?
    3) what happens when you try "modprobe tun"?
  15. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

(First, I note that this thread is abut 2.1 and I'm running 2.2 so that may be part of my problem.)

I never set them explicitly. I don't know what they should be. I just checked and it's set to 075.

But the error I'm getting is "Exec format error" which suggests to me that insmod can read the module fine but that the module isn't right somehow.

Yes.

"No such file or directory"
  16. Chris.Nelson

Chris.Nelson New Member

Search tags for this page
android openvpn package files download
dowlod libssl.so for android 2.1
insmod tun.ko exec format error

openvpn android 2.1

openvpn client for android 2.1
openvpn config files how to get vpn provider galaxy s3
openvpn connect android 2.1