Got my X2

Snow02

Reaction score
The atrix has the same display. No major complaints. While pentile displays have pros and cons vs. standard rgb displays, it's really not a big deal. Elkay is just on a personal mission apparently, hammering it on several boards.

Bottom line, if you don't see a problem, there isn't one. If you do, get another phone. The display will be perfectly acceptable to the vast majority.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@Elkay yeah, I ran it. I guess it's just me cause it's okay for me, not perfect but not bad enough for me to notice during regular use. I honestly couldn't be happier.

I lied, if it had a gig of ram I'd be happier but again, not a deal breaker for me at all.

Sent from my DROID X2

Elkay

Reaction score
Elkay is just on a personal mission apparently, hammering it on several boards.

Bottom line, if you don't see a problem, there isn't one. If you do, get another phone. The display will be perfectly acceptable to the vast majority.

That's my problem. If people just accept inferior technology like this, the manufacturers will simply keep cutting corners and rolling it out. There's no reason this phone couldn't have had a standard LCD display in it. Heck, even the DX1 display. There was nothing wrong with it. I've said it too many times already, brighter does not automatically mean better.

I will agree, though, if you don't see a problem, then more power to you and enjoy your phone the way you want to enjoy it.

Droid Life is going to be running an entire article on the pentile display. Believe me, it's not just me. Other forums have threads popping up on their own about how bad it is.

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score
Yeah. No doubt it has issues. But that's why there's return policies. If enough people find it to be a problem and return it they'll not use it again.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah. No doubt it has issues. But that's why there's return policies. If enough people find it to be a problem and return it they'll not use it again.

+1

Sent from my DROID X2

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
The screen display for me is fine..I will take this over the constant reboots I was having with the T-bolts.

I use mine for:
  1. Skype with bluetooth every morning on my drive to work...
  2. Browsing the internet.
  3. Email
  4. Messaging
  5. Google navigation almost everyday
  6. Slacker all day
The only issue I have seen so far it when recording video...it stutters and smears...unless I reboot it..

Zetsumei

Reaction score
The pentile screen is weird... Elkay it's like you said - certain things just look flat out crappy. But other things do look nice and the higher res helps overall. It does get better after you get used to it - but it doesn't change the fact that some gradients are off, text looks bad in some spots, etc.

But then you'll see posts from others that can't even see the stuff that looks bad... I don't think I'm overly spoiled with regard to my screens. :icon_eek:

Nothing wrong with being spoiled when it comes to high end devices. I came from the charge, and im ok fairly satisfied w/ the DX2 screen. <3 Dual core. Charge was just mad slow and touch wiz = bleh.

Elkay

Reaction score
The pentile screen is weird... Elkay it's like you said - certain things just look flat out crappy. But other things do look nice and the higher res helps overall. It does get better after you get used to it - but it doesn't change the fact that some gradients are off, text looks bad in some spots, etc.

But then you'll see posts from others that can't even see the stuff that looks bad... I don't think I'm overly spoiled with regard to my screens. :icon_eek:

Nothing wrong with being spoiled when it comes to high end devices. I came from the charge, and im ok fairly satisfied w/ the DX2 screen. <3 Dual core. Charge was just mad slow and touch wiz = bleh.

The only thing keeping me on the DX2 at the moment is the dual-core. I'm unloading it as soon as a dual-core/LTE/keyboard device is released. I got the DX2 to tide my dual-core hunger over until the D3 is released, but now people are saying the D3 will likely have the pentile display. If that's the case, I'll be forced to pass and move on to another manufacturer's device, hopefully HTC in that case. I refuse to stick with a pentile display in the long run.

Zetsumei

Reaction score

The only thing keeping me on the DX2 at the moment is the dual-core. I'm unloading it as soon as a dual-core/LTE/keyboard device is released. I got the DX2 to tide my dual-core hunger over until the D3 is released, but now people are saying the D3 will likely have the pentile display. If that's the case, I'll be forced to pass and move on to another manufacturer's device, hopefully HTC in that case. I refuse to stick with a pentile display in the long run.

If only Moto would confirm unlocked bootloader, that +super amodel qhd that'd be the day. Stupid sammy jacking all the super amoled + displays :(.

droidont

Reaction score
Wow - coming from SLCD (and, before that, Super AMOLDED), this screen is tough to live with. Ghosting of the wallpaper when flicking through homescreens, the odd "pixelation" inherent with pentile (particularly on greens) and - the kicker - banding on even 24-bit backgrounds.

It's as if the display is only 16-bit capable.

Great device, other than that. But the display is an embarrassment.

kookk

Reaction score
That was my reaction too. Coming from a droid, the droid screen was much more crisp although much smaller and the colors weren't as nice.

I really think the exchange of a bit of crispness for all this power was very worth it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Elkay

Reaction score
and - the kicker - banding on even 24-bit backgrounds.

It's as if the display is only 16-bit capable.

That's *exactly* what I initially saw and thought until I did the research and found out about pentile. It really does act like a 16-bit display, only with even more pixel artifacting.

Reaction score
i sat here and read every single page on this topic thus far, read every topic on droid-Life pertaining to anything with the DX2 and all i have to say is-

Anyone coming from the original Moto droid is pretty pleased with this phone- I came from a moto droid after almost 2 years (rooting, custom roms, kernals, etc in all)

I loved the huge support for the motorola droid, but it can only last so long. AND i got tired of waiting on the Bionic/Targa/Batman/Superman?Whatever you wanna call it now lol

Pentile display on this phone is not everyones favorite, we all know that, but for my everday use through emails, webpages, and new feeds i dont have a problem with it at all.

I installed launcherproplus to make up for blur although blur actually has quite a few features that i like this time around.

Things like dolphin Browser, Simple Text, Simi Folder, Live backgrounds, etc will help you make your phone look just fine and you'll forget it was even on blur.

Netflix runs on it which im happy about, games play real smooth on this device even all the high end games(i.e. Dungeon Defenders runs superb on the X2)

Waiting for those dual cores to be put to use efficiently man...AND GINGERBREAD, my one problem is that they didnt launch it with gingerbread. dumb move on their part.

I wanna root it but some say gingerbreak formats your memory card and i dont wanna lose any of that stuff or make it a longer process when i just moved everything onto my 32gig sd card.

I also await developer support for this device before i go in on my rooting spree all over again for this X2, bless my Moto Droid =)

Now we play the waiting game. . . .

Last edited:

Zetsumei

Reaction score
The screen is fine. Ofc it's not gonna look as good as super AMOLED + and i accept that, seeing that most displays wont. But the screen is crisp and all games look nice, photos etc... If it improves battery life I'm all for it ****.