Got my X2

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jeez look at those screen comparisons. I hope its a software issue and not a hardware one.

Elkay

Reaction score
I'm glad you contacted him - I did as well early on with a few videos. Hopefully he'll post something up about it.

Problem is, this is the type of screen that Moto has evidently chosen for the near future - Atrix has it, D3 looks like it's going to have it...

The one saving grace is that the D3 isn't 4.3", so they have to use a different physical display. *Maybe* they didn't do pentile on the 4.0" (I think that's the size).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
edit... n/m, I'm dumb... didn't notice the "droid-life" in the url... :icon_eek:

Last edited:

keyblade

Reaction score
Wow, that screen comparison may have just knocked the DX2 out of my list of phone candidates, thanks. Now down to INC2 and Thunderbolt. Thanks!

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up the small negatives of this display and never mentioning the plus side.

Pentile is known to use up to 50% less battery than a LCD. Great trade off in my opinion!

Unless you have the devices side by side all the time, I don't think you'd notice much (if any) of a difference.

My .02¢

Sent from my DROID X2

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Wow, that screen comparison may have just knocked the DX2 out of my list of phone candidates, thanks. Now down to INC2 and Thunderbolt. Thanks!

I would still go look at the X2 in person. You may think the screen is just fine!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pentile is known to use up to 50% less battery than a LCD. Great trade off in my opinion!

Unless you've got something official to back that up, I'm going to have to disagree... while I had both of mine, when the screen was on, it was sucking down battery pretty heavy. If it is better than LCD, it sure wasn't 50% better with both the DX2's I had. Maybe the higher res was the battery culprit, I don't know.

And it's not just those small examples or side-by-side examples that are poor - there are certain scenarios where gradients look horrible, small white-on-black text is difficult to read, etc.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time the higher res compensates, and the higher res does look very nice, but still... if this was the iPhone or Thunderbolt, people would be ripping it to shreds. Since it's the sequel to the beloved DX, people tend to view this with rose colored glasses (no pun intended! :p).

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@jntdroid it's in the wiki, and pretty much any other website you look about the technology, it's one of their main selling points of the display, the power consumption.

I don't have any problem what so ever with black text on white back ground, it looks perfect. In gmail, tapatalk, where ever. It's crystal clear.

Also it should be noted the OG Nexus One has a pentile display, no one complained about that, most marked it as a feature.

Sent from my DROID X2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
@jntdroid it's in the wiki, and pretty much any other website you look about the technology, it's one of their main selling points of the display, the power consumption.

I don't have any problem what so ever with black text on white back ground, it looks perfect. In gmail, tapatalk, where ever. It's crystal clear.

Also it should be noted the OG Nexus One has a pentile display, no one complained about that, most marked it as a feature.

Sent from my DROID X2

My bad, somehow I missed that in the articles I read. Regardless I disagree with it in my experience. Though it could be the resolution or the phone's auto-brightness "ability" - it seemed like it ran overly bright at times. And I meant white text on black background - mainly smaller text. It's not always horrible.

The gradient issues also could simply be that whatever is using the gradient hasn't been adjusted for the higher resolution of the X2.

I also think there are different types of pentile displays... (in reference to the nexus one).

Elkay

Reaction score

Sent from my DROID X2

** At equivalent brightness **

Lower the DX2 brightness to the brightness of the DX1 and see how it looks. Even worse. At "regular" brightness on the DX2, I wouldn't be surprised if it used more power than the DX1 since it's that much brighter to compensate for the poor color reproduction of pentile.

It's still an LCD display. The filters that let certain colors pass (red, blue, green) are in a different order and arrangement, and some (including the DX2) use an extra "white" pixel that doesn't have a color filter at all. That's how they get their extra brightness. Arranging the pixels to allow this white filter sub-pixel causes an uneven arrangement of the actual pixels, which is where you're getting your jagged edges and checkerboard look from.

Icfatpeople

Reaction score
I upgraded from the x1 to x2, and in impressed as well as happy with the upgrade! Plus I turned a profit selling my dx1 for 175! I only paid 150ish for the upgrade! I got paid to upgrade!

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@Elkay for me, lowering the brightness doesn't make it "even worse" because in my opinion it's great to begin with.

It's all opinion. The only gradient I see on mine is in the battery icon, which my response is who cares? I didn't buy this for a pretty icon at the top corner that I only glance at to see how much power I have left.

Sent from my DROID X2

Elkay

Reaction score
@Elkay for me, lowering the brightness doesn't make it "even worse" because in my opinion it's great to begin with.

It's all opinion. The only gradient I see on mine is in the battery icon, which my response is who cares? I didn't buy this for a pretty icon at the top corner that I only glance at to see how much power I have left.

Sent from my DROID X2

It's a lot more than just that icon, but to each their own. Did you run the green background test that I linked? Text on colored backgrounds look awful.