Got my X 2 days early

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by techguru, Jul 14, 2010.

1. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dancedroidI, and 36 or so fellow members of a Verizon focus group (sorry, it is closed membership and I can't get anyone invited) got X's yesterday.

I'll hopefully put up a full review (with comparisons to the Droid and Incredible) later today or tomorrow.

It is pretty cool. Absolutely HUGE though. I am not sure I will be able to get used to carrying it every day. Screen color saturation is not as nice as the Incredible. It may be slightly faster than the Inc. Hard to say from every day uses. It is certainly not any slower. The pre-loaded Swype does have a voice entry button (yay). It comes with Mobile Hotspot feature even though it is Android 2.1, not 2.2. (of course, it is Verizon's $20/month hot spot feature, but oh well....).

Dock app is cool. It has three pages and you can add apps or 1x widgets to the bottom bar (http://picasaweb.google.com/alan.burnstine/Mobile#5493742442691133362 I started it with Dock Simulator. The dock is my home made portable dock made from two business cards taped together and cut at an angle. not to stable, but it gets the job done).

Car dock app cool too. It can be started by application or a magnet in the dock.

If you have specific questions, feel free to post and I'll try to answer between doing work today.

Alan

2. SHWELL

SHWELL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you had a chance to use it outside in direct sunlight?

3. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0

Been cloudy since I got it. I don't expect to see the sun until tomorrow, but if it is bright in the morning I'll post first thing.

Alan

4. SHWELL

SHWELL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx man.. Hopefully by tomorrow morning I can see for myself.. Should be bright and sunny here in Fl..

5. ShadowDroid

ShadowDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the dock simulator program on the app store or where did you get it?

6. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A comment about the size. If any of you ever used a Samsung i700 Pocket PC, it is the same height, and slightly thinner both in width and depth. It actually fits pretty well in my old EB Slipper case from my i700.

So, it is big by today's standards, but some of us have carried worse for a whole lot less functionality.

Alan

7. HeroNova

HeroNova Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice pics man, congratulations on getting the X early!

8. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sun came out, so I did a little comparison.

Original Moto Droid, DINC, DX, and a Samsung Omnia II (windows mobile, but also AMOLED, but restive rather than capacitive screen).

Droid and DX where about the same. Maybe the Droid had a slight edge. Both were a bit better than the DINC and the OmniaII which were identical.

I think the real difference is that the DINC holds onto fingerprints and just won't let go. It is much harder to wipe clean, and they reflect badly in bright light. The Droid and the DX for some reason don't get as greasy to start and are easier to wipe off, so appear to perform better in bright light.

None are as good as my Delorme PN-40 or Garmin 60CSx GPS's which have transreflective screens that actually look better in bright sun then with their own backlights. Of course, neither of those is touchscreen. My BB Curve also handles sun better, but again, not a touch screen.

Alan

9. SHWELL

SHWELL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. This subject has been a thorn in my side for my BB Storm 1.

10. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Storm in my collection, but I gave it away so I can't compare directly, but I think this is better if I recall correctly.

Alan

11. SHWELL

SHWELL New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Would not take much to be better IMHO.. In Direct Sunlight, the Storm 1's screen was pretty useless.

12. dangerous

dangerous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    heh.. My I600, I700, I720, I760, I770 are all sitting in my desk drawers.

adn the I700 was huge..