got my RAZR today and i have sone questions.

djspy

Reaction score
First off I noticed the black blotches on the screen. Some people say they don't have them others that they do and others that this is a problem pertaining to this type of screens. What to do? Second question is there seems to be a very pronounced "half tone" effect on the screen. Tiny dots everywhere! It feels like I'm reading a comic book. Is this normal? I don't have to be super close to the screen to see them. T
hird I downloaded the facebook app and can't seem to figure out how to sync my contacts. I've read that the built in social media app from motor causes a lot of problems so that's why I don't want to she it. I watched NY first YouTube video on it and noticed the crackling sound. If I lowered it by two or so notches from 100% the crackling goes away. I hope someone can help me with these issues. Thanks!t.

OP
djspy

djspy

Reaction score
OK add an unresponsive keyboard toothed list. I usually type everything up and then go back and edit the text into paragraphs but the freaking keyboard just won't let me. I clicked on the part I want to edit and the screen just centers itself. The little thing that appears so you can drag to edit precisely just goes all over the place I.e. the "pencil" is here and the "_" is two lines up to the left.

rasaun87

Reaction score
Shoulda got a rezound. ;)

sent from my rezound that may NOT be traded for a gnex

satarecah

Reaction score
YEAH get the rezound so if you have another problem you can just keep phone hopping.... typical troll... (But no.... just turn in back into verizon if your having a problem get it fixed don't Q.Q your phone don't work and get a different one cause all phones have similar problems) and to be honest i haven't had a problem yet so i must of got a good one :)

Kimo91

Reaction score
You can either a: exchange it for another Razr, b: listen to other trolls and get the Rezound, or c: get a basic phone with a tiny screen so you don't see imperfections in the screen.

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto Droid Razr

OP
djspy

djspy

Reaction score
I have no intentions of trading it in for a rezound. I think I'm getting used to the screen because the dots aren't as noticeable as at first.

The keyboard thing I talked about and the black splotches are what bother me. I'm going to a factory data reset to see if that helps the keyboard issue.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just decided to go off into a dark room and see if I had the black splotches too. I do indeed. However, I REALLY had to look for them to see them. Don't think its a problem as I rarely watch video on my phones and that seems to be where it is most apparent: dark video in a dark room, or when looking at pure black in a dark room.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
First off I noticed the black blotches on the screen. Some people say they don't have them others that they do and others that this is a problem pertaining to this type of screens. What to do? Second question is there seems to be a very pronounced "half tone" effect on the screen. Tiny dots everywhere! It feels like I'm reading a comic book. Is this normal? I don't have to be super close to the screen to see them. T
hird I downloaded the facebook app and can't seem to figure out how to sync my contacts. I've read that the built in social media app from motor causes a lot of problems so that's why I don't want to she it. I watched NY first YouTube video on it and noticed the crackling sound. If I lowered it by two or so notches from 100% the crackling goes away. I hope someone can help me with these issues. Thanks!t.

Sigh...where do I start??? First, the blotches... I saw them last night for the first time. The phone was doing something and the display was on a completely black screen, and the room was completely dark (I was in bed), and after my eyes adjusted from the bright screen that I had been looking at just prior (about 10 seconds), I saw them - they look like splotches or splashes of slightly darker area which are not unlike if someone took black paint and a brush and flung it at the screen. Now, I am talking about a shade darker, maybe 1 or 2% darker than the already dark - almost black screen anyway. Did it cause me to feel like it was defective or that I just couldn't put up with it - that it was going to ruin the phone for me, a "game changer"? NO!

Second, I have not EVER seen any type of "half tone" effect on the screen. By "Tiny dots", you are implying that it looks like a photo taken with a digital camera in low light - in other words "noise" (speckles of what looks like dirt or dust specks)? Again, I have seen nothing of the sort. My whites are white, my colors are colors, and both are pure and unfettered with "Tiny dots". Now granted, I am getting older and the sight for things close up is getting worse, but I use reading glasses and with reading glasses, not only is my vision up-close sharp as a tack, but it is also magnified so it's even larger, which enables me to see pixels even better than the naked eye at the same distance. I've got to say, this display looks quite beautiful.

The crackling...OK, let's say you go to your home stereo system and turn the volume to 100%. What do you think is going to happen? I know if I did that, the speakers would begin bottoming out on the magnet structures, they would overheat, and eventually blow, but before that happens, the sound would be TERRIBLY DISTORTED. In other words, SHOULD it sound clean and crisp at 100% volume level? Well, since we're accustomed to turning the volume up to max loudness so we can hear that tiny speaker, the manufacturer actually caps the actual volume level to a number somewhere at or near maximum volume with acceptable level of distortion, but not the maximum volume that the amplifier on the motherboard is capable of producing.

Then, there's the speaker...a TINY transducer that is being asked to produce sound loud enough to be able to hear from a distance of upwards of a meter away. That's quite a task for such a small transducer to move that much air, and to also have a frequency response that produces some acceptable tonality as well. But as you said, at "two or so notches [below] 100%, "the crackling goes away". Imagine that?! Well, at less than full volume, my stereo at home won't send the speaker cones across the room either!

I'm sorry for ranting, and I want you to know I'm not ranting at you. It seems people (including me) have become desensitized to certain things, and have grown accustomed to accepting certain things as "normal" but often we find that what we consider normal is simply what the manufacturers want us to believe as being normal. Then when some other manufacturer comes along and doesn't "conform" to the quasi-normal, everyone gets all disheveled.

If I looked at myself as closely and scrutinize as strictly as people do these phones (and for that matter if everyone did the same), we'd all never show our faces in public.

Just saying...

J

JriderG

Foxcat.... my Droid x sounds fine at Max volumes and its much older than the razr. They are also from the same company.

Just saying...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Foxcat.... my Droid x sounds fine at Max volumes and its much older than the razr. They are also from the same company.

Just saying...

No doubt, and I am sure there are plenty of other phones out there that sound fine at "100%" volume, but I don't think it's a "defect" so much as it is perhaps the internal volume threshold perhaps set too high on the RAZR to counteract the extremely small speaker, and the minimal amount of acoustic suspension area that the speaker calls home. One of the things that allows a speaker to have good fidelity in modern design is a large box or area either around or behind the speaker for acoustic suspension. It helps the speaker to produce the lower frequencies without needing to move as far in and out. Before acoustic suspension it was an even larger box with lots of openings in the rear to help channel the bass frequencies from the speaker into movement of volumes of air. The bigger the cabinet, the deeper and more natural the tonal quality.

(off topic) - The newest technology is to use either tuned ports (a throwback to the earlier non-acoustic suspension designs), or to create long tuned tunnels or tubes with bends at strategic locations to enhance certain frequency ranges by way of reverberation and wave reflection (think Bose Acoustic Wave Radio). This could be compared to the deep sound of a bass horn with long tubes and bends for the various deep notes versus a piccolo which is short, straight and tiny and sounds more like it's "chirping".

(back on topic) - The Droid X has a relatively large area for the acoustic suspension of its speaker. In the right image below the entire black (looks brown) box around the speaker that stretches across the entire width of the phone internally is the "speaker cabinet". The box is essentially the entire interior of the phone across the bottom 1/2" or so. it's the same size on the back but is sealed. That can be seen in this video of the teardown of the Droid X ([video=youtube;mtle6V_xukc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mtle6V_xukc[/video]) at between 4:24 and 4:40 in the timing.

The RAZR had to revert to using the "bump" at the top of the phone to house not only the cameras (front and rear facing on left and middle) as it does on the Droid X (edit**) but also the headphone jack (far left of 1st image!!), the earphone (middle of the 2nd pic) AND the speaker (left of 2nd pic). That's 5 major components sharing that space, meaning the speaker doesn't benefit from the space of the entire width of the phone, but instead only a compartment not much larger than the speaker itself.

You can see the grommet that surrounds the acoustic suspension compartment (i.e. speaker cabinet), in the left (first) image. It's the thin gray strip that starts in the middle of the image at the top and then goes down and eventually through a few turns to the lower right, up the right side and back across the top. The speaker and housing in the middle image mates up with that grommet to create the speaker cabinet. Click on the images to see them full-size.

View attachment 43054View attachment 43056View attachment 43055

Two really cool videos of the RAZR, both showing the incredibly small speaker in its new position at the top of the phone rather than the bottom as it is in the X.

Warum ist das Motorola RAZR so dünn? Motorola lüftet das Geheimnis

What does this mean? Well, have you ever heard the difference in sound between for instance a bookshelf speaker and a floor-standing speaker? There's an analogy that should give you a frame of reference. So the phone sacrificed some speaker fidelity for the incredibly thin physique.

Conclusion: Just don't turn the speaker up to max volume and expect it to sound like a floor-standing speaker tower!

Just saying...

Last edited:
J

JriderG

Yea I don't expect my phone to sound like the theaters...just work at max volume. Dude its a flaw...

Just saying...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yea I don't expect my phone to sound like the theaters...just work at max volume. Dude its a flaw...

Just saying...

And you're welcome to your opinion....

MonkeyMouth

Reaction score
The black spots are a result of the SAMOLED screen. Since it uses organic light emitting diodes. They are great for blacks since they don't use light, like LCDs which need a back light. But at a cost. Since they are organic they are rarely all the same. This results in areas with darker concentrations of black than others.

As for your dots. Could you please post a picture of your phone and it's screen.

BEAMED from my DROID RAZR!

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I've had mine for a week and so far have not had any issues with black dots.