Got my Moto Droid now I want AT&T

7 VII 7

Reaction score
So I was wondering what I can do to get a better deal with Verizon.

I currently have a 20% off with my company with Verizon and I pay $79 a month for data plan, 450 mins and unlimited text.

I am adding my wife to the plan and it shoots up to $180 a month!

Well I did some talking and some configuration of a plan at AT&T for the same 700 mins with rollover and after an 18% discount through my company it is $100 a month for both lines, 2GB data and unlimited txt!

I am really thinking of going over to save $80 a month and get the new iPhone 4. But what can I tell Verizon so they can match that price of AT&T or am I pretty much screwed?

My plan ends 02/04/2012

Any help would be great. I guess I would have to pay the cancel fee to of $400 on top of all that unless you guys know a loop hole.

Mojo

Reaction score
What are you talking about.. you might want to redo your math.

Verizon 700 Minute Talk and Text Plan is 99.99 for the first two lines. Add two unlimited Data plans @ 29.99 each.

Thats $160.00 with your 20% discount it will be 140$

Mojo

Reaction score
Thats a matter of opinion. ATT does have decent service in a lot of places, and the iPhone is a great device. However, dont think that the grass is greener on the other side. There is no way to get out of your contract with VZW with out paying the ETF. If you are willing to pay those.. then you can get out. But factor in what you are paying in early termination fees plus your monthly cost savings or not. And you will see you will still endup paying more on ATT

AT&T and Iphones Sucks!!

Leonius

Reaction score
I know this is an android forum, but that's a REALLY biased statement. I dislike a lot of things about at&t, but they have upsides as well.

IPhones are a tight little bundle of good hardware and slick ui. I love my droid but I feel it's foolish to discount the competition so easily.

Edit: beated

Darkseider

Reaction score
Hmmmm... $100 / month for AT&T or $128 / month for Verizon? The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to make and receive phone calls? If so then definitely go with Verizon. If you just want an iPod touch that might be able to make a phone call every now and then when it has a signal go with AT&T.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Verizon 700 Minute Talk and Text Plan is 99.99 for the first two lines. Add two unlimited Data plans @ 29.99 each.

i have 2 droids and we had the 700 minute plan and it came to right at 180 a month including insurance on both phones. (assuming op has insurance on his phones) but that would be pre discount i only get 12% through my business..

Mojo

Reaction score

i have 2 droids and we had the 700 minute plan and it came to right at 180 a month including insurance on both phones. (assuming op has insurance on his phones) but that would be pre discount i only get 12% through my business..

I can see that with insurance and taxes. But ATT is not really any cheaper than Verizon. Their voice plans nearly miror one another price wise. You will save 5$ per line with the cheaper data. But wait untill you see all the iPhone users posting all over the place about how large thier bills are when they go over.

nolanandy

Reaction score
I know this is an android forum, but that's a REALLY biased statement. I dislike a lot of things about at&t, but they have upsides as well.

IPhones are a tight little bundle of good hardware and slick ui. I love my droid but I feel it's foolish to discount the competition so easily.

Edit: beated

He forgot to add "Apple sucks"...This is an Android forum, so most people here think their Droid is god or something, and that is okay. But most of you called out the Apple fanboys for no reasons. Anyway, both (MOT Droid and iPhone) are great devices IMO. You need to give iPhone some credits, AT&T would be no one if they don't have the iPhone ... they were nobody 4 years ago (PERIOD). Also the price on the iPhone has not moved much unlike all of the Android phones. I paid $200 for my Droid back in Jan, and now I heard that I can get it for free, which is really pissed me off.

QMaverick

Reaction score
not to fuel the fire, but you're the first person I've ever heard of that WANTS to switch to AT&T for service reasons...

Seriously, Google AT&T and their dropped call rate as well as their customer satisfaction rating.

AT&T is #1 in most dropped calls, and Dead last (out of the big 4) in customer satisfaction.

I'd gladly pay an extra $20 or so to stay with a service that allows me to make CALLS with my PHONE. :) Just my two-cents.

AT&T has most dropped calls, Verizon has least says study

zMd113

Reaction score
I wanted nothing more than to get away from AT&T, I tried to tell them that but I kept losing connection. LoL...

Verison has excellent coverage I'm soooo glad I switched. I would never go back to AT&T unless they bought out another cell company and all of a sudden their coverage was excellent.

r1nstang

Reaction score

I currently have a 20% off with my company with Verizon and I pay $79 a month for data plan, 450 mins and unlimited text.

I am adding my wife to the plan and it shoots up to $180 a month!

Well I did some talking and some configuration of a plan at AT&T for the same 700 mins with rollover and after an 18% discount through my company it is $100 a month for both lines, 2GB data and unlimited txt!

I am really thinking of going over to save $80 a month and get the new iPhone 4. But what can I tell Verizon so they can match that price of AT&T or am I pretty much screwed?

My plan ends 02/04/2012

Any help would be great. I guess I would have to pay the cancel fee to of $400 on top of all that unless you guys know a loop hole.

your doing better then me. I got 450 minutes unlimited data and text and even with my 22% discount with UPS my bill still hits $94.50 a month after taxes

lvmydroid

Reaction score
cost of iphone

Not sure where you got the $100 figure but for 2 iphones with 2gb packages, unlimited monthly text, 700 minutes - your 18% discount is closer to $123 a month. Factor in the cost of 2 new phones + ETF to verizon + no insurance available for iphones + the additional fees if you go over your data ( which is currently unlimited with VZ and will stay that way even if they do change their rates as long as you don't change your plan till the end of your current agreement ). All in all your looking to turn over $900 - $1000 initially just to change carriers ( EFT, Phones, 1st month + any pro rated charges ). Not an iphone hater but if your looking to save money right now I don't see it happening at the moment. If you really want to jump ship what until your contract expires then you might save yourself $10-$20 a month as long as you stay within the guidelines of your data and don't ever need to replace your phone due to damage ( with no insurance a new phone will cost around $500 )

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I live in the bay area and had AT&T for years before i switched to Verizon last Nov.

I never had a dropped call or crappy service anywhere. However, i didn't have a data phone and had no 3g experience with them, but my signal never died or anything like that. This is my first 3g phone and i notice some spotty areas around where i live (like going 2 miles one way i'm down to 1x instead of 3g)

It's most likely the newer phone, compared to my old HTC Tilt, but the call clarity is much better on the Droid.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score

I currently have a 20% off with my company with Verizon and I pay $79 a month for

your doing better then me. I got 450 minutes unlimited data and text and even with my 22% discount with UPS my bill still hits $94.50 a month after taxes
Does Verizon have a college student discount because I'm paying nearly 105 dollars a month as it is now. I could really use the savings and I remember at&t had a 15% discount if you have a college email address.

Sent from my Droid

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I can see that with insurance and taxes. But ATT is not really any cheaper than Verizon. Their voice plans nearly miror one another price wise. You will save 5$ per line with the cheaper data. But wait untill you see all the iPhone users posting all over the place about how large thier bills are when they go over.

No AT&T is no that much cheaper. i would stick with verizon with the unlimeted data plan for now... as long as it is offered anyway.. dont know if i am correct or not but largest data plan with AT&T is 2GB??