Got my Moto Droid now I want AT&T

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by 7 VII 7, Jun 22, 2010.

1. 7 VII 7

7 VII 7 New Member

So I was wondering what I can do to get a better deal with Verizon.

I currently have a 20% off with my company with Verizon and I pay $79 a month for data plan, 450 mins and unlimited text.

I am adding my wife to the plan and it shoots up to $180 a month!

Well I did some talking and some configuration of a plan at AT&T for the same 700 mins with rollover and after an 18% discount through my company it is $100 a month for both lines, 2GB data and unlimited txt!

I am really thinking of going over to save $80 a month and get the new iPhone 4. But what can I tell Verizon so they can match that price of AT&T or am I pretty much screwed?

My plan ends 02/04/2012

Any help would be great. I guess I would have to pay the cancel fee to of $400 on top of all that unless you guys know a loop hole.
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

What are you talking about.. you might want to redo your math.

Verizon 700 Minute Talk and Text Plan is 99.99 for the first two lines. Add two unlimited Data plans @ 29.99 each.

Thats $160.00 with your 20% discount it will be 140$
  3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Thats a matter of opinion. ATT does have decent service in a lot of places, and the iPhone is a great device. However, dont think that the grass is greener on the other side. There is no way to get out of your contract with VZW with out paying the ETF. If you are willing to pay those.. then you can get out. But factor in what you are paying in early termination fees plus your monthly cost savings or not. And you will see you will still endup paying more on ATT

4. Leonius

Leonius New Member

I know this is an android forum, but that's a REALLY biased statement. I dislike a lot of things about at&t, but they have upsides as well.

IPhones are a tight little bundle of good hardware and slick ui. I love my droid but I feel it's foolish to discount the competition so easily.

Edit: beated
  5. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Hmmmm... $100 / month for AT&T or $128 / month for Verizon? The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to make and receive phone calls? If so then definitely go with Verizon. If you just want an iPod touch that might be able to make a phone call every now and then when it has a signal go with AT&T.
  6. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i have 2 droids and we had the 700 minute plan and it came to right at 180 a month including insurance on both phones. (assuming op has insurance on his phones) but that would be pre discount i only get 12% through my business..
  7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I can see that with insurance and taxes. But ATT is not really any cheaper than Verizon. Their voice plans nearly miror one another price wise. You will save 5$ per line with the cheaper data. But wait untill you see all the iPhone users posting all over the place about how large thier bills are when they go over.
  8. nolanandy

nolanandy New Member

He forgot to add "Apple sucks"...This is an Android forum, so most people here think their Droid is god or something, and that is okay. But most of you called out the Apple fanboys for no reasons. Anyway, both (MOT Droid and iPhone) are great devices IMO. You need to give iPhone some credits, AT&T would be no one if they don't have the iPhone ... they were nobody 4 years ago (PERIOD). Also the price on the iPhone has not moved much unlike all of the Android phones. I paid $200 for my Droid back in Jan, and now I heard that I can get it for free, which is really pissed me off.
  9. QMaverick

QMaverick New Member

not to fuel the fire, but you're the first person I've ever heard of that WANTS to switch to AT&T for service reasons...

Seriously, Google AT&T and their dropped call rate as well as their customer satisfaction rating.

AT&T is #1 in most dropped calls, and Dead last (out of the big 4) in customer satisfaction.

I'd gladly pay an extra $20 or so to stay with a service that allows me to make CALLS with my PHONE. :) Just my two-cents.

AT&T has most dropped calls, Verizon has least says study
  10. zMd113

zMd113 New Member

I wanted nothing more than to get away from AT&T, I tried to tell them that but I kept losing connection. LoL...

Verison has excellent coverage I'm soooo glad I switched. I would never go back to AT&T unless they bought out another cell company and all of a sudden their coverage was excellent.
  11. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

your doing better then me. I got 450 minutes unlimited data and text and even with my 22% discount with UPS my bill still hits $94.50 a month after taxes
  12. lvmydroid

lvmydroid New Member

cost of iphone

Not sure where you got the $100 figure but for 2 iphones with 2gb packages, unlimited monthly text, 700 minutes - your 18% discount is closer to $123 a month. Factor in the cost of 2 new phones + ETF to verizon + no insurance available for iphones + the additional fees if you go over your data ( which is currently unlimited with VZ and will stay that way even if they do change their rates as long as you don't change your plan till the end of your current agreement ). All in all your looking to turn over $900 - $1000 initially just to change carriers ( EFT, Phones, 1st month + any pro rated charges ). Not an iphone hater but if your looking to save money right now I don't see it happening at the moment. If you really want to jump ship what until your contract expires then you might save yourself $10-$20 a month as long as you stay within the guidelines of your data and don't ever need to replace your phone due to damage ( with no insurance a new phone will cost around $500 )
  13. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

I live in the bay area and had AT&T for years before i switched to Verizon last Nov.

I never had a dropped call or crappy service anywhere. However, i didn't have a data phone and had no 3g experience with them, but my signal never died or anything like that. This is my first 3g phone and i notice some spotty areas around where i live (like going 2 miles one way i'm down to 1x instead of 3g)

It's most likely the newer phone, compared to my old HTC Tilt, but the call clarity is much better on the Droid.
  14. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw New Member

Does Verizon have a college student discount because I'm paying nearly 105 dollars a month as it is now. I could really use the savings and I remember at&t had a 15% discount if you have a college email address.

Sent from my Droid
  15. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

No AT&T is no that much cheaper. i would stick with verizon with the unlimeted data plan for now... as long as it is offered anyway.. dont know if i am correct or not but largest data plan with AT&T is 2GB??
  16. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

I would much rather burn bridges with apple then make them apple sucks AT&T Suck and the Iphone is a second rate piece of crap... but back to the matter at hand AT&T may have the cheaper plan but say you got injured in a remote area and you could only make one phone call to 911 would you rather have you call droped by AT&T or have it revived bye Verizon hay its your funeral and you money im just the guy who makes suggestions
  17. cnul8rguys

cnul8rguys New Member

i had att for 5 years, had the original iphone, the 3g and the 3gs along with a handful of other att phones. never had an issue with their service. if you live in a populated area or around a metropolitian area, you will be fine. it is cheaper on att than verizon i will say... about $25 a month cheaper if you have the same setup like i have now.

for me, it was a matter of me wanting to be on the same network as the woman and all my friends and family have verizon so it just made more sense...
  18. lvmydroid

lvmydroid New Member

cost of iphone

dancedroid
    I forgot to add the cost of apps ( most of which you will pay for on the apple market where you can get most free on android ) and the cost of crummy reception, limited service areas ( that much tylenol costs a lot of money )
  19. superglen99

superglen99 New Member

I have 2 Droids, both have insurance. 700 shared minutes and unlimited txt and data on both phones and a 25% discount. It's $160 a month.
  20. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Coverage varies despite what the fanboys and marketing tell you. I live in a major city and even the major carriers have holes. Always check real world coverage where you need it -- especially if you're in the first 30 days with a new carrier.

Please make them with actual sentences. Thanks!
Search tags for this page

harley davidson verizon discount