Got ICS update but will not install

fucco

Reaction score
Just got the update 384 megs. I was not a soak tester. It popped up at 3 am last night. I tried 3 attempts but it will not install. I am rooted and had some apps frozed (none are deleted). I unfroze the apps and rebooted. I then redownloaded the update but it will still not install. Only thing different than stock now is that the phone is rooted. I am wondering if it will not install the update becuase it is rooted. Anyone else having issues with the update???

cbreze

Reaction score
Just got the update 384 megs. I was not a soak tester. It popped up at 3 am last night. I tried 3 attempts but it will not install. I am rooted and had some apps frozed (none are deleted). I unfroze the apps and rebooted. I then redownloaded the update but it will still not install. Only thing different than stock now is that the phone is rooted. I am wondering if it will not install the update becuase it is rooted. Anyone else having issues with the update???
Have you tried the voodoo root keeper? Sometimes it doesn't seem to work for me, but it's worth a shot. Other than that I do believe you need to be unrooted for a proper install.

farquhar

Reaction score
Turn your phone off and then back on then try it again. If it still doesn't work you need to contact Verizon and let them know

MightyT01

Reaction score
My Maxx is rooted and have not received the update, but in preparation I've unfroze everything and temporarily unrooted with Voodoo root keeper. This is how I've handled all previous updates on my Maxx and Bionic and so far, (knock on wood) have not had a single issue. I do not flash roms and keep both my phones stock android.

We'll see if this continues to work for the ICS update.

drquinones

Reaction score

i'm having the exact same issue. i had the same problem with the minor update a few months back and unfreezing, etc., resolved the issue. no workie this time. does anyone have any suggestions?

p.s. - i've also temp unrooted with voodoo rootkeeper but that doesnt seem to make a difference.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
You'll want to unroot and try again.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
F

fucco

Reaction score
other than rootkeeper how would you recommend i do that?

FIXED IT... it has nothing to do with root or frozen apps. I had safestrap recovery installed. once i removed it everything went though fine. It will only install with the standard recovery software not when u have safestrap of clockworld on phone

drquinones

Reaction score
FIXED IT... it has nothing to do with root or frozen apps. I had safestrap recovery installed. once i removed it everything went though fine. It will only install with the standard recovery software not when u have safestrap of clockworld on phone

thanks for the update but i've already unrooted. now when i go to settings > about phone > system update it tells me that my phone is already up to date and there is no update available.

how can i force the update now? anyone?

farquhar

Reaction score
drquinones said:
thanks for the update but i've already unrooted. now when i go to settings > about phone > system update it tells me that my phone is already up to date and there is no update available.

how can i force the update now? anyone?

You can't all you can do is wait.

drquinones

Reaction score
ok, i've unrooted, re-rooted, restored about a hundred times and when i restore system settings the update is available again.

i used root explorer to copy the update to my sd card and booted into recovery and performed the update from the sd card. during the update it failed but this time it told me why. it informed me that the stock SWYPE.APK was missing.

i installed the latest and greatest swype a while back which required i either delete or rename the original files. i could have sworn that i renamed which i did on my droid x but i cannot find the renamed files.

so, my failure to update is due to swype - does anyone know how i can get the stock swype back onto my phone?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Moving to the ics subforum

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!